powder question

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Hunza

powder question

Post by Hunza »

i have a bunch of imr 4895. what has been your experience with this powder in 30 40?

butlersrangers

Re: powder question

Post by butlersrangers »

IMR4895 is a wonderful propellant with 150, 165, 168, 170, & 180 grain jacketed projectiles in the U.S. Krag.

.30-40 data with Krag appropriate loads appears in many trusted reloading manuals.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Is it H4895 or IMR 4895? Doesn't matter... either one is great! Be careful about how quickly you use it up though - 4895 has been unavailable for quite some time now... and it doesn't look like it's going to be back in stock anytime soon (the good ole US Gov. has pretty much locked in all 4895 production for military use)!

trapdoor4570

Post by trapdoor4570 »

4895 is a funny bird. It used to be there were 2 different 4895’s the IMR and the Hodgdon’s. If you are using older loading data you need to make sure it matches the powder you have, there was a difference in the charge weights. The same thing for 4831 and probably also for 4350. Now that Hodgdon owns the IMR label they say the powder is the same NOW.

waterman

Post by waterman »

About 2/3 of the way through the last century, I had a lunchtime companion, a woman chemist who worked for Hercules for 20+ years. She told me that all smokeless powders are blends of chemicals and manufacturing processes, made from basic recipes (formulae) for a given type (4895, for example) in enormous batches, tons of the stuff. For all sorts of reasons, the batches differed. If the end results fell within the specs (+/-) for 4895, that's what they called it. If not, it probably became something else. 4064 was close. I remember that Infallible shotgun powder was just Unique that didn't pass through a final screening process.

4895 has been made since the mid-1930s in several different places by several different companies. How many times has the IMR label changed hands? IIRC, it went from DuPont to some firm in upstate NY, along the St. Lawrence River, to a company in Canada, then back to the US, and now to Hodgdon. I find it amazing that the stuff is so uniform and that, as long as you load conservatively, you get good results.

Hunza

Post by Hunza »

i was unaware that 4895 was basically impossible to get. thankfully i have enough to last for a little while,especially since i reload much less now.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

My local shop has plenty of 4895. No issues…

I was looking for Alliant Unique for over two years, then he got a shipment. Everything seems to be flowing more freely except some primers. Unfortunately, none of it is back to pre pandemic prices.

I’m just glad I heeded the warning and bought several hundred Krag brass when it was available.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I managed to purchase a few pounds of IMR 4895 last year through Powder Valley... although my preference is for H-4895. Now however, IMR or Hodgden... it's scarcer than Culpeper's herd of pet unicorns!!!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Mike4MSU wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:00 pmI’m just glad I heeded the warning and bought several hundred Krag brass when it was available.
You have done well, true and loyal disciple. The God of all things brass will release his bounty upon us once again and like a rain of gold will wash away the sins of the unbelievers so they may join us in abundance during times of want.

Let us pray.

Dear Lord of the Sacred Brass. Prepare your people for the coming time of turmoil where brass, powder and primers will disappear completely. That every man who hears these words will put aside treasure to stock up on enough of each to last to the generation of our sons and their sons of sons.

Amen

There is only Kek and Pepe is his prophet (PBUH).
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio