Springfield Krag Composit Model 1898 Carbine

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Re: Springfield Krag Composit Model 1898 Carbine

Post by Whig »

This picture shows why I bought it. You do need to know details of these Model 1896 carbine rear sights to pick this up. It is a small gamble but I see what I see unless they are mis-representing something. Dick is exactly right, though. I have to wait for the mailman to bring me my Krag to see if my gamble paid off! I have found three Model 1896 carbine rear sights this way. (I'm giving away my secrets!) Others have found great treasures this same way before. I'm certainly not the first. I found one a while ago that cost me a little over $200 but it was actually a faked Model 1896 rear sight. I saw the "c" stamp on the right side. It looked a little strange but for the price I paid, it was worth the gamble. I'm actually glad to have a representative fake carbine sight in my collection, though.
Attachments
pointer.jpg
pointer.jpg (180.18 KiB) Viewed 9308 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Having sharp eyes, and in my case, good proportional visualization, allowed me to pick up a multi-thousand dollar BoOF 26" rifle for $450 (just recently found my money-order receipt; I'd remembered it as $350, but no matter). The wood had been whacked square at the band, but the barrel was clearly not 30" and the front sight looked SA-good. Aside from seeing that the rear sight was some kind of 1901, no further details were visible. Figured I'd take a chance - the serial was "good", but that is NOT an absolute; they pulled rifles in random batches to modify for trial.

Anyhow, fast forward to the "reveal" after shipment and the 10-day waiting period - it WAS indeed what I'd hoped, and complete with the 2100yd. sight.

Moral of the story: READ voraciously, learn as much as you can, then, look VERY closely at all fine details. Some day, you will be rewarded . . .

Whig

Post by Whig »

It sure takes a lot of time and patience to find these things, doesn't it Dick?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I think the 'd&t' hole spacing is for the Weaver #2 side-mount block. The bolt has a Buehler safety-lever.
The bolt-sleeve was 'flattened' to allow a lower scope positioning.

It appears to have a 1903 Springfield front-sight band, altered to accept a commercial sight-blade 'dovetail'.

The 1898/1902 handguard looks like a beauty!

Experienced eyes noticed that the backwards 1896 rear-sight, exposed a likely carbine-sight 'slide'.

Hopefully, Whig has gotten a bargain m-1896 carbine rear-sight, plus a free Krag 'sporter' to put a Scope on, along with other useful parts!

Whig's instincts are good! The sight-leaf has two range increments past the "18".
Attachments
whigs new toy.jpeg
whigs new toy.jpeg (109.87 KiB) Viewed 9287 times
distinct notch 1896 carb slide.jpg
distinct notch 1896 carb slide.jpg (76.02 KiB) Viewed 9292 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

My recent eBay sight coup. (This was in plain view for eight days)!
Attachments
ebay sight.jpg
ebay sight.jpg (451.91 KiB) Viewed 9285 times