Long barrel carbine stock

U.S. Military Krags
arlensolem@yahoo.com

Long barrel carbine stock

Post by arlensolem@yahoo.com »

Hi all! This is my grandpas krag, Springfield m1898. It has what I believe is a carbine stock and a long rifle barrel. The stock has not been cut down or altered. The front cap has the spring.

I am not sure exactly how my grandpa got the rifle. He was born in 1905 and the cousins and uncles (in their 80s) don’t remember how he got it for sure and always remember him having it.

Serial number dates manufacturer to 1898. I believe the rear sight is from the second model which came out in 1898. Can anyone tell if this is the lighter Italian walnut? I think it is. That was especially common in 1898 manufactures I think. My grandpas brother in law did fight in the Spanish American war. Maybe it was his? They were good friends I know.

Anyway, mainly wondering if anyone knows about this configuration. It’s possible that when they were being phased out that they used a stock that wouldn’t have matched the barrel. I would guess that in 1898 and a rush of production this could also have happened. Or did they make some like these deliberately?

Anyway, it makes for a nice hunting rifle as is. The long barrel gives a long sight radius. My grandfather had great eyesight and was legendary with his shooting with this rifle, especially on running deer.

While not an expert, I’m pretty good at researching and also seeing modifications. I think the only non original part on this is the front blade, which is a bit tall and has a brass bead. My grandpa turned up the rear sight elevation to match.

Sorry the pictures aren’t great. My cousin just took a couple of pictures of it while out hunting this year. I took it out as well. Unfortunately neither of us shot any deer with it this year. It shoots quite well. I’m a decent open sight shooter and practice with it every year a few rounds. I feel adequate to shoot deer out to 100 yards now without fear of wounding one.

Would love any help
Attachments
image000000.jpeg
image000000.jpeg (327.92 KiB) Viewed 10934 times
image000001.jpeg
image000001.jpeg (256.31 KiB) Viewed 10934 times

FredC

Re: Long barrel carbine stock

Post by FredC »

Must be cold where you live. I have seen that funny white stuff a couple times in my life. The fellows here can probably tell you a few things with your photos. More photos will get you more details. Special attention to the front of the stock and the hand guard with the rear sight will get you a lot more.

And welcome to the KCA!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Welcome to the KCA Forum!!!

It could help with some better images. The stock at first glance could be a carbine stock, however, better views of the right and left side, as well as a close-up of the left side of the receiver and front sight would be very helpful in identifying just what you have there. Also, drop a cleaning rod down the barrel against the closed bolt face and mark it, then measure. A full length rifle barrel will be 30 inches, and a carbine would be 22 (as long as it has the correct - AND correctly mounted front sight). What I can tell you is that you have the 1902 rear sight with the pop-up "Sgt Peep" peep sight plate.

Whig

Post by Whig »

From those two pictures, I think it's a Krag!
Welcome and we await more pictures to your great family treasure story!