Chamber Obstruction in 1898 Krag Rifle

U.S. Military Krags
DCRColoCity

Re: Chamber Obstruction in 1898 Krag Rifle

Post by DCRColoCity »

Thank you for the replies & suggestions. I went downstairs to chamber another case to post a photo of what they look like (since I had resized all of them), and well, well -- they chamber just fine! I think one of two things happened:
-- either I was able to clean out whatever it was without detecting the substance, or (probably more likely)
-- I had a brain fart and tried chambering a couple of UN-resized cases in it... I was partway through resizing them and had boxes of original and resized cases on by bench, and I might have grabbed a couple out of the un-resized box when I tried chambering them...

I'm going to have to double-check and make sure I have them all properly resized...

FYI I wasn't hammering on a screwdriver, I was just trying to gently scrape out what's in there because it looked kind of a pinkish color, and I thought it might be something waxy like bullet lube. I did full-length size the cases in a properly adjusted 30-40 die, and the shoulders were visibly set back. They also came out almost the same overall length that my reloading manuals recommend, only a few thousandths shorter.

The bore looks really nice, it's shiny and there aren't any areas where it looks rough, dull, or damaged in any way. If I could find actual 30-40 ammo or brass, I would, but after several months of looking I wasn't able to find any.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

DCRColoCity

Post by DCRColoCity »

Thank you for the replies & suggestions. I went downstairs to chamber another case to post a photo of what they look like (since I had resized all of them), and well, well -- they chamber just fine! I think one of two things happened:
-- either I was able to clean out whatever it was without detecting the substance, or (probably more likely)
-- I had a brain fart and tried chambering a couple of UN-resized cases in it... I was partway through resizing them and had boxes of original and resized cases on by bench, and I might have grabbed a couple out of the un-resized box when I tried chambering them...

I'm going to have to double-check and make sure I have them all properly resized...

FYI I wasn't hammering on a screwdriver, I was just trying to gently scrape out what's in there because it looked kind of a pinkish color, and I thought it might be something waxy like bullet lube. I did full-length size the cases in a properly adjusted 30-40 die, and the shoulders were visibly set back. They also came out almost the same overall length that my reloading manuals recommend, only a few thousandths shorter.

The bore looks really nice, it's shiny and there aren't any areas where it looks rough, dull, or damaged in any way. If I could find actual 30-40 ammo or brass, I would, but after several months of looking I wasn't able to find any.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Whew! Thank goodness. Truth be told though I did the same thing last week with some 7.5 Swiss. Did you know there is very little neck tension in unsized brass when you punch out the primers in a separate step, wash the brass nice and shiny and then forget where you are at in the process. ...like trying to load them with powder and bullets.

Oh alright. I've done it twice.

Don't push the shoulders back too far since the Krag headspaces on the rim. Maybe a couple thousandths at most.

And don't go away. This is a fun group. We can always use another smart guy around the place. Of course this is one proviso. I don't know what it is but there is one. "Trust me, Luke. I'm your grandfather."
Attachments
SAAMI - Krag 30-40.jpg
SAAMI - Krag 30-40.jpg (198.67 KiB) Viewed 8645 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks for the update 'DCRColoCity'. I'm glad things seem to be worked out.

I forgot my manners - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

BTW - The SAAMI standards for the .30-40 were established about 30 years after new Krag production stopped.

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

First and most importantly, welcome to the neighborhood! Folks here are generous and helpful to any and all. They have greatly helped a nob like me.

Second, congratulations!!! You've got a nice Krag rifle. And, very very happily, the issues/questions you had have been solved! Hope you will be able to enjoy reloading for your rifle as well as (of course) taking it to the range and possibly out into the woods and fields. Of course, more pictures would be welcomed! Sincerely. bruce.

DCRColoCity

Post by DCRColoCity »

As requested, I'm posting some additional photos of my rifle.

I took it to the range yesterday to test some handloads and it shot very well: 5-shot groups into 1 1/2 minute at 100 yds. 220 gr. Hornady Interlock round nose bullets with 33 grains of IMR 4895 in resized, new PPU .303 brass. These rounds fed fine from the magazine.
Krag Rifle6.jpg
Krag Rifle6.jpg (387.47 KiB) Viewed 8563 times
Krag Rifle7.jpg
Krag Rifle7.jpg (573.8 KiB) Viewed 8563 times
Krag Rifle8.jpg
Krag Rifle8.jpg (334.06 KiB) Viewed 8563 times
Attachments
Krag Rifle11.jpg
Krag Rifle11.jpg (603.61 KiB) Viewed 8563 times
Krag Rifle9.jpg
Krag Rifle9.jpg (479.3 KiB) Viewed 8563 times

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Beautiful Krag!

On resizing the .303 brass, how difficult is it to do? I'm assuming you use a full-length sizer die for 30-40? What about case length, I do believe the .303 is shorter brass?

Sorry for all the questions. :)
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

DCRColoCity

Post by DCRColoCity »

I used a new Lee full-length sizer die and it was very easy -- it took less effort than resizing fired cases and they chambered & shot fine. They do come out a little shorter than 30/40 cases, around 2.214", but there is plenty of case neck to hold the bullet.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

DCRColoCity wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:15 pm I used a new Lee full-length sizer die and it was very easy -- it took less effort than resizing fired cases and they chambered & shot fine. They do come out a little shorter than 30/40 cases, around 2.214", but there is plenty of case neck to hold the bullet.
Cool, thanks! I can get .303 brass.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Very good looking model 1896 rifle.
I am glad Krag loads, using reformed .303 British Brass, are working out for you.