Christmas Has Come Early

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Christmas Has Come Early

Post by Whig »

So, I got my gamble Krag auction purchase via Fed Ex today. The package was waiting for me when I got home from work. I usually am patient and catch up on discussion with my wife, eat dinner, etc., before breaking into a newly arrived firearm purchase. But, I was so anxious to see what I had purchased, I tore open the box like a 10 year old on Christmas morning. I really wanted to see if the rear sight was indeed a Model 1896 carbine rear sight I thought I saw in an auction picture. I only paid a touch over $300 for this poorly sporterized Krag including buyer's premium and shipping. The parts altogether are worth more than that I thought. Initial picture below showing the slide cut on the sight that is only seen on the carbine sight.

I took a picture of the sight still mounted backwards on the Krag after opening the package. It is an authentic Model 1896 rear carbine sight. So, now I have an extra one to mount on one of my Model 1896 carbines that is wearing a rifle sight.

Keep your eyes open. There are still some floating out there. Many of us have found treasures like this by looking for details others miss!
Attachments
composit 2.jpeg
composit 2.jpeg (180.18 KiB) Viewed 9702 times
DSCN9271.JPG
DSCN9271.JPG (275.03 KiB) Viewed 9702 times
DSCN9276.JPG
DSCN9276.JPG (419 KiB) Viewed 9702 times
DSCN9279.JPG
DSCN9279.JPG (425.91 KiB) Viewed 9702 times

butlersrangers

Re: Christmas Has Come Early

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm happy for you, Whig!

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Congratulations!!! Nice inexpensive Krag rifle w/ carbine rear sight to boot! Good for you. Merry Christmas! Sincerely. bruce.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Good for you! Merry Christmas!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Whenever something like this happens, I think "It'll never happen again." Yet, I keep searching. Happy Krag hunting to all!

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Nice score Whig!!!

Of course you know that now, every KCA member is going to be heading to Gun Broker (and all the other auction sites) looking for their Christmas present!

Mele Kalikimaka!!!
Last edited by MooseNugget on Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

How is the bore on your new 'Hunting Rifle'?

How about a photo of the whole package?

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Wow! Great find! Congrats. :)
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Whig

Post by Whig »

Here are a few pictures of the remnants of the sporterized Krag that had been wearing the Model 1896 rear carbine sight. I have scavenged the sight and hand guard to keep in my collection. The bore is very good with strong rifling. I don't plan to use this. I have some Krag stuff I am going to try to sell. I have too many other projects I'm working on now. I'm restoring an 1805 Tall Clock with wooden gears and I am trying to get a 1940s antique Sparton vacumn tube radio in a beautiful case working again. Getting the house ready for kids and grand kids next week and still some winterizing work outside. So, Krag projest like this are not on my list! But, I'll still be searching for more Krag goodies like this. One thing I don't have (and probably never will!) is a BoOF rear altered 1901 sight like Dick and BR have! But, I'll be looking!

Happy Thanksgiving all.
Attachments
DSCN9294.JPG
DSCN9294.JPG (348.64 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
DSCN9291.JPG
DSCN9291.JPG (154.55 KiB) Viewed 9582 times
DSCN9287.JPG
DSCN9287.JPG (169.58 KiB) Viewed 9582 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That Buehler 'safety-lever' seems to sell well on eBay.

This altered Krag, with the addition of a Weaver side-mount & scope, would give someone a good rig for Hunting and Range Testing ammo.

You did no disservice by removing a precious sight and handguard.

The Krag is still basically worth what you paid. So, the sight and handguard were FREE! .... You canny Krag enthusiast!

Please put a rear sling-swivel, a Weaver #2 side-mount block, or a 'beater' Krag rear-sight, on this orphan for the next owner.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.