Saber tooth deer hunting

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Culpeper

Saber tooth deer hunting

Post by Culpeper »

Wish me luck. Give my regards to Broadway if I don't make it back. Beastly creatures, those deer. Saw them pull down full grown bull Rhino.

Haven't been in the woods in years. I think all of my stuff is still up home. I'll be using my .729 caliber Remington 11-87 as always and I still have a half case of Winchester BRI slugs. Good stuff. Too bad Winchester jumped on the anti-lead train and stopped making them. Now they make a sabot copper bullet shell.

Now where are my orange pith helmet and candy striped swager stick.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Re: Saber tooth deer hunting

Post by FredC »

Saber toothed deer. Hmmm I know you all have bigger deer in most places. I told someone about seeing a couple of bucks with locked horns fighting. I was told that I should talk to them about making peace. There are few things on this ranch that scare me but separating fighting bucks is one that would scare me. Mostly sweet little things you bump into around here.
Attached thermal is from last night. Fawn appeared to be still nursing.

Saber toothed deer, I am going to have to rethink things.
Attachments
DoeNursingFawnNov25-23.JPG
DoeNursingFawnNov25-23.JPG (17.52 KiB) Viewed 17935 times

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Im glad you explained the picture....I thought it looked like a guy was standing awful closw to the back of a goat or something

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Im glad you explained the picture....I thought it looked like a guy was standing awful close to the back of a goat or something :shock: :shock: :shock:

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

ebruce wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:25 pm Im glad you explained the picture....I thought it looked like a guy was standing awful close to the back of a goat or something :shock: :shock: :shock:

Zoom in and tell me im wrong lol

DoeNursingFawnNov25-23 (1).JPG
DoeNursingFawnNov25-23 (1).JPG (7.24 KiB) Viewed 17876 times
DoeNursingFawnNov25-23 (1).JPG
DoeNursingFawnNov25-23 (1).JPG (7.24 KiB) Viewed 17876 times
Attachments
DoeNursingFawnNov25-23.JPG
DoeNursingFawnNov25-23.JPG (432.79 KiB) Viewed 17876 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Some people.

The longer neck on a deer is one of the ways I tell that animal is a deer at night. I killed a coyote about 2 weeks ago. The rifle thermal has a bit better resolution than the handheld monocular. I still studied the coyote for a couple of minutes to make sure it was not a deer. Want no trouble with a Texas Game Warden. Thermal devices with a lot better resolution start about $4000.00. Mine are OK but you need to take some time IDing your target when at a distance.

Fawns here are getting close to the size of does and have lost their spots. I would have guessed they were all weaned months ago.

Back to saber toothed bucks. When my dad hunted in these parts, he used his 06 with reduced loads with the energy of a 30 carbine. I assume Culpeper is hunting where heavier loads are needed because of "monster" bucks.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Shotgun with slugs. An old time favorite.

Got a doe today. one of the guys got off a very lucky running shot and broke a hind leg without damaging the ham. That slowed her up enough for me to get on target.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Post by FredC »

This holiday weekend was special here where unlimited does could be taken off any one place as long as the hunters had doe tags left on their license. The new ranch owner was going to have all his family and some friends take a lot of them. I guess he got busy and only got the one that was watching him work on his tractor. He could not take it anymore, so he shot her in the head with his AR rifle. I was expecting to hear a lot of shooting and see a lot of gut piles. Too bad as there is a crazy over population here. Ideal doe to buck ratio is 1 to 1. We must have 5 or six does to one buck.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Human 3

Saber tooth deer -3

A doe
A button buck
8 point buck

FredC

Post by FredC »

I take it you got 3 saber toothed deer this season.
If so congrats!

I keep score differently:
FredC 152*
Snattlerakes 0

My interpretation
I have killed a hundred plus snattlerakes
Rattlesnakes are zero since none have bitten me yet.

*this number is a guestimate

Hoping the saber toothed deer did not kill you and 2 of your friends.
Last edited by FredC on Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.