M1917 Smith and Wesson

Other Firearms
P0H0

M1917 Smith and Wesson

Post by P0H0 »

I was window shopping on Gun Broker the other day and decided to follow an auction on an M1917 Smith and Wesson — towards the end of the auction I couldn’t resist and jumped in during the last 15 minutes and came out on top. I was particularly motivated as I had just watched Raiders of the Lost Ark and my brother thought it would be cool to have one — not to mention it is a service revolver and in great shape (the bore looks mint). I did also pickup some full and half moon clips to use.
pix573320669.jpeg
pix573320669.jpeg (272.79 KiB) Viewed 25314 times
pix566150285.jpeg
pix566150285.jpeg (161.03 KiB) Viewed 25314 times
You can view a lot more photos HERE

I fixed the link to the photo album.
Last edited by P0H0 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike4MSU

Re: M1917 Smith and Wesson

Post by Mike4MSU »

Nice find! Looks to be in great shape. I “think” a S&W that early should have the ribbed hammer. Looks pristine for its age. Pulled the grips yet? Matching?

waterman

Post by waterman »

Is there a list of the M 1917 S&W revolvers sold through the DCM? I have one, but it came from the estate of a man who was a US Army Corps of Engineers officer in 1918 (in Wyoming) and later was a NRA member. I'd like to know if he just took his revolver home when he left the Army or if he bought the revolver through the DCM.

His widow told me that he was in charge of a group of coal mines in Wyoming, that everyone came down with the Spanish Flu, many died. She said she went to a tent hospital, collected her husband and all his uniform and equipment, and they went back to his parents' home in Pennsylvania on the train. Never again heard from the Army, no discharge or anything else. She gave me the revolver.

waterman

Post by waterman »

My limited experience is that Auto Rim cases and lead bullets work better than half moon clips. GI bullets are hard on the barrels.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Nice S&W model 1917, Sean.

I used to have one, that was not quite as nice as yours, but it proved to be a very accurate revolver.
IIRC - The chambers would hold .45 acp rounds in place, so it could be fired without 1/2 'Moon-Clips'.
A 'Fired' case could be ejected with a pencil. (This was a convenient 'shortcut' during a range session).

200 grain lead, semi-wadcutter reloads, shot super-scary accurate!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Nice find! Definitely on my "Bucket" list!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Nice looking revolver. Purtier than mine. But where is your bayonet?

How are you set for 45 auto rim?
Attachments
S&W M1917 and M1894 Krag.jpg
S&W M1917 and M1894 Krag.jpg (238.54 KiB) Viewed 24999 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Mike4MSU wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:22 pm Nice find! Looks to be in great shape. I “think” a S&W that early should have the ribbed hammer. Looks pristine for its age. Pulled the grips yet? Matching?
My hammer is smooth — I was watching or read somewhere it was around serial number 16000 that they went to the smooth hammer. I understand the ribs were designed to help hold lubrication.

I haven’t removed the grips yet — all the serial numbers on it check out so far (barrel, cylinder, star, bottom of grip — and an assembly number on the yoke). I think there is supposed to be a serial number penciled in under the right grip also — and may also have another factory assembly number inside somewhere.
Last edited by P0H0 on Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

butlersrangers wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:12 pm Nice S&W model 1917, Sean.

I used to have one, that was not quite as nice as yours, but it proved to be a very accurate revolver.
IIRC - The chambers would hold .45 acp rounds in place, so it could be fired without 1/2 'Moon-Clips'.
A 'Fired' case could be ejected with a pencil. (This was a convenient 'shortcut' during a range session).

200 grain lead, semi-wadcutter reloads, shot super-scary accurate!
Thanks Br!

The revolver is in pretty good overall condition — the bore looks mint, and none of the screws are buggered up.
I’m pretty sure mine will drop into the cylinder. I don’t think the moon clips are all that bad, and I did pick up a tool to remove the spent cases afterward - I guess you have to twist them off. I’ll find out when I take it to the range.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

waterman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:54 pm Is there a list of the M 1917 S&W revolvers sold through the DCM? I have one, but it came from the estate of a man who was a US Army Corps of Engineers officer in 1918 (in Wyoming) and later was a NRA member. I'd like to know if he just took his revolver home when he left the Army or if he bought the revolver through the DCM.

His widow told me that he was in charge of a group of coal mines in Wyoming, that everyone came down with the Spanish Flu, many died. She said she went to a tent hospital, collected her husband and all his uniform and equipment, and they went back to his parents' home in Pennsylvania on the train. Never again heard from the Army, no discharge or anything else. She gave me the revolver.
It’s nice you have some history of the pistol. I’m not sure if the CMP has records on the M1917s — I’m definitely gonna follow up and check though.