1898 Krag (NRA?) sporter

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
pav1140@att.net

1898 Krag (NRA?) sporter

Post by pav1140@att.net »

Years gone by I acquired this rifle as part of a three-firearm deal, the previous owner did not think much of the rifle, so he pretty much just threw it in. So, yes, it is an 1898 marked as 30 Army, and the barrel length appears to be unaltered. It is a good-looking sporter and shoots fine, based on the bluing and overall work, this appears to be a professional conversion. My only issue is that whomever sporterized this rifle, they silver soldered the front sling swivel to the barrel. My question is, does anyone recognize this conversion? Given the level of the work, I am doubtful that this is a one off? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Attachments
30-40 1895 Krag Springfield Sporter - 1.jpg
30-40 1895 Krag Springfield Sporter - 1.jpg (480.67 KiB) Viewed 16806 times

butlersrangers

Re: 1898 Krag (NRA?) sporter

Post by butlersrangers »

'Pav1140' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. You have an interesting looking Krag hunting rifle.

It is really difficult to assess the quality of the gunsmithing and aspects of your Krag,
because the photo is so dark and fuzzy.

Some clearer, brighter, and closer photos of your rifle, showing areas in detail, will allow better feedback and information.

BTW - Your Krag is actually altered from a U.S. model 1896 rifle.
The bolt-handle 'recess' in the action and 'scalloped' stock area around the bolt handle reveal this.
"Model 1896" is likely stamped so deeply on the left receiver wall that it appears to be "1898".

A very common owner misread.

p.s. - Many KCA Members enjoy the 'Sporters'.
Attachments
30-40 1895 Krag Springfield Sporter.jpg
30-40 1895 Krag Springfield Sporter.jpg (144.76 KiB) Viewed 16796 times
ang30-40 1895 Krag Springfield Sporter - 1.jpg
ang30-40 1895 Krag Springfield Sporter - 1.jpg (219.25 KiB) Viewed 16798 times

Y2K-WS.6

Post by Y2K-WS.6 »

Although I can't comment on who altered your rifle I will say it's a beauty. It has a flavor that suggests to me post WWI. It's very reminiscent of a 1920's era converted US Model 1917 sporter that I bought in the early 80's. It was identified as being in an NRA stock. The sights unfinished stock and unissued post war built Winchester rifle all came from the NRA as a do it yourself kit. Mine was crudely done but after I refinished it, well then it became a beauty like yours is.

The barrel mounted sling swivel is nearly identical to what is on my family heirloom 1932 vintage Savage 99. With a long 28" barrel and a short forestock it's the most convenient mounting solution. I don't recommend using any type of configured shooting sling with this setup. It negatively affected the accuracy of the Savage when tried in the past.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Actually, the National Rifle Association (NRA) has never sold guns.

From approximately 1903 to about 1970, U.S. Citizens had to belong to the NRA in order to purchase arms,
through programs under the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice.
In 1916, the Army appointed a Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) officer, whose department managed and authorized civilian sales.
(In the 1980s, I believe, civilian sales came under a new arrangement called the CMP).

"NRA" being applied to firearms is a tad confusing and sometimes intentionally misleading.

I am aware of the letters N.R.A. being stamped on the trigger-guards of some 1903 Springfield rifles, before WW1,
to validate rightful civilian ownership.

In the mid-1920s, Benicia Arsenal altered some Krag rifles into a carbine configuration, for sporting purposes.
These handy Krags were available for purchase by NRA members and are often referred to as DCM or NRA carbines by collectors.
This style of modification was widely copied by amateur and professional gunsmiths.
Identifying a 'real one', actually altered at Benicia Arsenal, would require original DCM paperwork.

(IIRC - In the 1920s and 1930s, Springfield Armory built some 1903 rifles with special target and hunting rifle stocks,
to attract civilian sales to NRA members. The term "NRA" may have been applied to some stock styles).

The "NRA label" has been exploited by some gun sellers, over the years, to try and enhance the value of an item they were selling.

Exact details about a family heirloom are sometimes 'clouded', by generations of retelling.

pav1140@att.net

Well, I agree on the mfg date, I checked the SN against the Krag data base, and it says 1896. Problem, the mfg date stamped on the receiver is vague. I TRIED to attach new pics, but they were too large. If I reduce them in size, I lose quality. I used a good camera, but could not figure out the manual focus, but a magnifying glass was helpful, this is clearly 1898 to me, but if the stamping was not dead on, it could have been an 1896. Go figure. I did take more pics, with a better camera (no manual focus), if you would like to see them, here is my email, let me know. pav1140@att.net. FYI, this rifle is for sale, if you are interested let me know, I am going to list on Gunbroker next week. Based on what I have seen, read, and heard, these sporterized rifles are good for $400-$500? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Paul

pav1140@att.net

Below the Bridge, like the Mackinaw Island Bridge? Have a number of family members that live in Bay City... some good, some not so good. We were there last year, always a nice drive up to the UP.