Post by Sunshineboys »

20231010_101435_resized_r1.jpeg
20231010_101435_resized_r1.jpeg (331.47 KiB) Viewed 36142 times
20231010_101528_resized_r1.jpeg
20231010_101528_resized_r1.jpeg (186.16 KiB) Viewed 36142 times

Sunshineboys

Re: What is this?

Post by Sunshineboys »

I noted that the rear sight is missing. Also that the barrel band is held in place with a pin. Is that a factory stock? Wondering how genuine it is? I am skeptical. Dave

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

It's nice is what it is. Lol! I really want one of those no-tap rear peep sights.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Sunshineboys wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:35 am I noted that the rear sight is missing. Also that the barrel band is held in place with a pin. Is that a factory stock? Wondering how genuine it is? I am skeptical. Dave
The pin tells you this was rifle stock cut down to mimic a carbine. The gun started life as a full length rifle.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Thanks Culpeper. It seems virtually impossible to find an unmolested example here in Canada. No mention in the advertisement about the missing rear sight or that it is cut down. Price is $800.00. I bet the rear sight would be next to impossible to find and a lot of cash! Interesting that a Lee Enfield cut down would be $250.00. Such is my life. I continue to search. Dave

Y2K-WS.6

Post by Y2K-WS.6 »

The front sight is definitely from a 1903 Springfield.
With the cut down barrel having a fresh muzzle crown and the Redfield peep sight it must be a fantastic shooter.

Whig

Post by Whig »

The Redfield Peep sight might be the most valuable part of this sporterized Krag rifle. Might still be a good shooting Krag, as stated.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Sunshineboys wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:28 pm Thanks Culpeper. It seems virtually impossible to find an unmolested example here in Canada. No mention in the advertisement about the missing rear sight or that it is cut down. Price is $800.00. I bet the rear sight would be next to impossible to find and a lot of cash! Interesting that a Lee Enfield cut down would be $250.00. Such is my life. I continue to search. Dave
Rifle sights are not that hard to find. Parters strip rifles all the time for fun and profit. Rotten $^$^%$##%^ bastards. You should be able to find a sight on evilbay. Finding the correct screws might be more of a stretch so if you do find a sight ensure they are with it. Additionally, yes, continue the search. I have come around to peep sights due to my K31 and Remington 41P. I just couldn't get the hang of them until this Fall. I agree with Y2K-WS.6. It could very well be a great deer rifle for short woods shooting.

Down here I wouldn't pay more than five hundred for that Krag and I am being generous. But Bidenomics being what is it I may have to move the amount up a wee bit.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

King carp

Post by King carp »

It looks like it might have a Kerr no buckle sling on it.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Nope. That appears to be one of those slings modeled after a certain British sling. This one is missing its keepers. I forget the name some folks call it. I know it is not a Kerr model. I have one of of these. I also have Kerr slings for the M1903 and the M1917. Mine was marketed back in the day as a Krag tropical sling. I believe Mr. Farmer addressed it in his book.

Mr. Mallory has a paragraph on page 166 and a picture on page 167 about a Tropical Web Sling. The last sentence reads, "Therefore, in the absence of any official procurement record of slings from Orndorff, the association of this sling with the Krag rifle appears dubious".

There should be some patent information stamped in the brass end pieces