.22 Krag GPR overhaul

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

.22 Krag GPR overhaul

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Possible winter project: I have a .22 GPR which functions sluggishly. I suspect at least one broken/missing spring. Is anyone aware of a diagram, drawing, illustration, whatever of the mechanism? Obviously I need to pull the barrel, but beyond that it will be a mystery. If it is just spring(s) hopefully I can find something at Ace - if not, there's McMaster-Carr. Any helpful comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

If I get it working right, I may try shooting it.

butlersrangers

Re: .22 Krag GPR overhaul

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick: You remove the GP barrel and then drive out the 'cross-pin', which retains the extractor plate mechanism.
The extractor-plate assembly can then be pulled out of the two deep barrel-breech holes.
The twin bushings, rods and springs are hopefully intact and come along with the plate.

There are two small bushings that are notched for the cross-pin. The 'rods', which are long screws with smooth shanks,
are encircled by the springs. The rods pass through the bushings and screw into the back of the extractor-plate.
The bushings and cross-pin hold it all in place.

Maybe, even before removing the cross-pin ....
Some deep penetrant, like 'Kroil', squirted down the holes and allowed to 'work', will help the cause.
Working & wiggling parts, along with some 'Scottish' taps with a plastic mallet, on the sides of the barrel (near the breech)
and 'lightly' on the plate, may exorcise the Demons and convince the mechanism, that it just better cooperate!

Some graphics, to help:
Attachments
a GP relic.jpg
a GP relic.jpg (161.07 KiB) Viewed 52457 times
IMG_9347.JPG
IMG_9347.JPG (272.24 KiB) Viewed 52457 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks a lot, Chuck - that's exactly what I wanted . . .

waterman

Post by waterman »

While you have the barrel off the rifle, please slug the bore and measure groove diameter, # of grooves, and twist. This is the easiest time to do all that. Also, you might find someone with a bore scope to really inspect the thing. If you do all that, or any part, I'd like to know about it.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

You live in No. CA, right? Maybe we could get together on this?

waterman

Post by waterman »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:11 am You live in No. CA, right? Maybe we could get together on this?
I live in Fortuna (south of Eureka, in the Redwoods) and have access via key to a good rifle range. I'm caregiver for my wife and don't travel much. Being old, don't drive at night, etc. If you would travel north, we can get together.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

I'm in Colusa, and also a caregiver, but such a trip would not be impossible. We stay in Fort Bragg occasionally, but I'm not sure Highway 1 is the quickest route. Let's consider something for the Spring . . . I could do the disassembly here and then let you check it out. Maybe we could even shoot some .30-40 . . . Just looked at Google Earth. You are closer than I thought. What kind of a road is CA36? I've never had occasion to use it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Hey guys ... Plan a Krag Event!

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Hmmmm fortuna is only 14.5hrs.... less on my goldwing with a full face helmet (no face, no case!) 🤪

waterman

Post by waterman »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:56 pm I'm in Colusa, and also a caregiver, but such a trip would not be impossible. We stay in Fort Bragg occasionally, but I'm not sure Highway 1 is the quickest route. Let's consider something for the Spring . . . I could do the disassembly here and then let you check it out. Maybe we could even shoot some .30-40 . . . Just looked at Google Earth. You are closer than I thought. What kind of a road is CA36? I've never had occasion to use it.
CA 36 used to be only for the adventurous. I have not been that way in several years. My oldest son says it's better now, but he was once an ice road trucker. The real problem is a lack of anything like a gas station or even a decent grocery store between Red Bluff and Hydesville. Cell phone coverage is iffy or non-existent in spots. The continual marijuana wars make stopping in some spots, and especially asking a local for help, a risky undertaking. Some of those people are a few cards short of a full deck. Not the best choice for the elderly.

A better road across the Coast Range is CA 20, from Colusa to Williams to US 101 just north of Ukiah. Much more traveled and traveler-friendly. Then 101 north to Fortuna. If you need to stop, there are plenty of safe places & better cell phone coverage. We can arrange to shoot Krags, but the range is close to the coast, wind is sometimes a problem. Spring would be better than winter.