Unit Markings information

U.S. Military Krags
Millwright66

Unit Markings information

Post by Millwright66 »

Good Evening,
I am a new member and a new Krag owner. I have a Carbine serial number dated to 1900 manufacture with a stock cartouche marked 1899. The real question I have is about the stock markings, It has 5th, 41, E listed on it, I will attach a picture. I have searched the web for specific information about Army Divisions around that time and have come up empty. Does anyone have any information or a link to any websites that could further explain what company/division/unit this rifle went to and where it might have seen action.
Thanks in advance,
V/r
Joe
4.jpg
4.jpg (851.11 KiB) Viewed 17504 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (884.07 KiB) Viewed 17504 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (878.53 KiB) Viewed 17504 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (932.03 KiB) Viewed 17504 times

Whig

Re: Unit Markings information

Post by Whig »

Welcome to KCA and glad to hear you have a nice Krag to share with us!

Many Krags were issued to and used in the early 1900s by National Guard units for drills. Maybe your's was used by the 41st Infantry Division of the National Guard. Many of this type of stamping was some sort of rack number on the stock. I like the way your's looks! Congratulations!

If this was used for drills, make sure that the chamber is clean and not damaged and that the bore is in good shape before shooting. Sometimes they would shoot blanks out of these which can be hard on barrels. Examine the bolt well and make sure that the firing pin is still there. Occasionally, the firing pins were removed for safety if they weren't meant for actual shooting which was common with drill rifles. Usually, though, most of these Krags are in great condition for shooting and can still be quite accurate even if the bore is pitted. Is anything in the buttstock where the oiler and cleaning rods can be stored?

Also, this Krag model 1898 is in the serial number range for rifles. There were often overlapping serial numbers for rifles and carbines but you may have a rifle that has been sporterized and cut down to resemble a carbine. More pictures will reveal this.

Your Krag serial number 241693 was made at Springfield Armory in November 1899. It has a beautiful 1899 cartouche which might reveal that this is the original stock for this receiver. It would be nice to see more pictures of the rest of your Krag. Thanks for sharing.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Millwright66 - Your Krag, 241693, was manufactured as a rifle around December 1899.

In Springfield Rifle Services (SRS) data, Krags number 241691 and 241715 are listed as model 1898 rifles, built in December 1899.
(In fact there are a whole bunch of rifles close to your serial number and no carbines).

Krag Carbines, starting at number 216022 and after, were marked "model 1899".

In regard to your stock markings, it is likely "5th" is the unit regimental marking, "E" the company, and "41" the rack number.
As Whig stated, this could be a N.G. marking or a regular Army marking.

It looks to me like your stock is one of the 30,000, that were made from Italian walnut blanks.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Very nice Krag! We need more pics. :)
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer