Striker firing pin

U.S. Military Krags
Krag

Striker firing pin

Post by Krag »

Hello,
I have an unaltered Krag 1898 rifle that has the tip of the striker firing pin cut off and replaced with a small wire. I am looking for a new striker. I have looked on numerous gun parts sites and even eBay and cannot locate one. Does anyone in this group have this part for sale? Thank you, John.

butlersrangers

Re: Striker firing pin

Post by butlersrangers »

Your current striker (firing pin) can, likely, be more expertly repaired.

A replacement original striker can probably be purchased from 'Grandpa's Gun-Parts', when he re-opens after the holidays.
(There is a link in KCA 'classifieds').

Krag

Post by Krag »

Thank you,
I hadn’t even considered having a gunsmith repair it.

Krag

Post by Krag »

Are the U.S. made strikers interchangeable with the Norwegian made part? Different projectile and different specs. Just curious.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I don't think so. (I've never tried such a replacement and I no longer have a Norwegian Krag to experiment with).

The U.S. and the Norwegian 'strikers' appear similar, but, the Norwegian part has a slight step or shoulder, where the pin blends into the main body of the striker.

The dimensions of the two models are likely very different (and I vaguely recall somebody having ignition problems, when the wrong part was substituted)?

I have never broken a Krag 'firing-pin', but, I have owned a couple of 'sportered' Krags with crudely repaired strikers, that I replaced.

A parts vendor, Larry Brown, often comes to the Michigan Antique Arms Show and normally has U.S. Krag 'strikers'.
He is knowledgeable and ethical. I believe, he resides in Indiana.

(Larry W. Brown - phone 260-749-5708 - lwbrown77@comcast.net)

Krag

Post by Krag »

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.