Rear sight ID help!

U.S. Military Krags
Norwood

Rear sight ID help!

Post by Norwood »

New to this forum, I’ve looked around and am impressed with the amount of info a knowledgeable peeps here. I’m kind of stumped about what rear sight I have on this 98 krag. Could be a Frankenstein from different years or even models, I’ll just say it ain’t right! I have photos attached but I had to crop them so much to get under the size limit I hope they’re helpful. Anyway it’s on a sporter I’m converting back and the windage apature (sic)(spell check is not helping) is different from any I’ve seen. It has the knob on the wrong side, shaped different, and has a “c” stamped on top. I know I know it’s not a cavalry sight but just curious as to what kind of conglomeration you guys think this is. It’s got a 24 barrel so I’m sure it was never a cavalry and the serial number I think is out of range. Hope this jogs a few memories! And while I have your attention what’s yall opinions on the scope holes tapped in the side? Worth fixing or just leave it alone. If it’s worth it I do know someone that can TIG who can be bribed. Alright thanks for any help and I will skidaddle.
Attachments
IMG_1633.jpeg
IMG_1633.jpeg (800.5 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
IMG_1631.jpeg
IMG_1631.jpeg (593.85 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
IMG_1629.jpeg
IMG_1629.jpeg (296.05 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1627.jpeg (172.1 KiB) Viewed 4341 times

Whig

Re: Rear sight ID help!

Post by Whig »

Norwood welcome! You have found a good home here to share you Krag interests with. Your rear sight on your sporterized Model 1898 Krag is certainly something to question. It is a rather strange abomination of a Krag rear sight. My best guess is that it is a Model 1898 rifle sight base with a thinned and modified Model 1898 carbine sight eyepiece. The Model 1898 carbine eyepiece had the "c" stamped on the top like yours has. The base is too high for a carbine base and may be a Model 1898 or Model 1902 rifle base. The carbine and rifle rear sights were designed and calibrated differently for the different barrel lengths. The carbine had a 22 inch barrel and the rifle had a 30 inch barrel. Sporterized rifles were often cut down to make them shorter, like a carbine, to be easier to carry for hunting purposes. The windage screw head on your rear sight is from a Model 1898 sight, I believe. Very strange conglomeration. I don't know why the hole was drilled in the side of the base. The eyepiece sighting notch was widened also. This is sure a challenge to unravel.

The receiver was drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Some people fill these unsightly holes in with a screw and cut it off flush or weld them shut like you propose. The rifle has no collector's value so you can do whatever you want to change things the way you want.

Show some more pictures of the whole rifle and the front muzzle and sight if you can. Make the picture 300-400kb and it should post fine. If the bore still has some rifling, it may be a good shooting Krag.

Thanks for sharing and we await more pictures and information!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Norwood, It is likely that the two extra holes on your receiver were for a 'peep' sight. (Which model? - IDK).

Unless you are going to use these holes, I would have them filled.

Your rear-sight is a 'mix-master' of parts. The base appears to be a model 1902 base. The current front mounting-screw is a machine screw, not a Krag screw.
The sight leaf is a model 1898 leaf.
As 'Whig' observed, your rear-sight eyepiece is a greatly altered model 1898 sight (carbine) eyepiece.

The slide 'locking-knob' is actually from a 1903 Springfield sight. The windage-knob has been improvised from an 'altered' 1903 Springfield sight knob.

The extra holes in the sight-base and sight-slide, (if threaded), may have been a 'Bubba' attempt to use extra screws to securely lock an elevation setting.

This rear-sight is a totally civilian creation, made from various altered surplus parts.
Attachments
ang krg.jpeg
ang krg.jpeg (319.68 KiB) Viewed 4324 times
ang sgt.jpeg
ang sgt.jpeg (124.21 KiB) Viewed 4324 times

Norwood

Post by Norwood »

Well that didn’t take long to get sorted. Thanks guys. In the morning I will put up some more pictures as requested.

Norwood

Post by Norwood »

Extra photos for consideration.
Attachments
IMG_1646.jpeg
IMG_1646.jpeg (655.69 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
IMG_1647.jpeg
IMG_1647.jpeg (417.77 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
IMG_1648.jpeg
IMG_1648.jpeg (261.16 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
IMG_1649.jpeg
IMG_1649.jpeg (806.33 KiB) Viewed 4293 times
IMG_1652.jpeg
IMG_1652.jpeg (407.57 KiB) Viewed 4293 times

Norwood

Post by Norwood »

One more
Attachments
IMG_1645.jpeg
IMG_1645.jpeg (642.68 KiB) Viewed 4293 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

Wow! That front sight can work but someone needs some serious welding/brazing lessons!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It looks like it's Lead-Solder, to me.

That would be a very attractive Krag 'Sporting' rifle with an original Krag rear-sight or a 'No-Drill' Receiver 'peep' sight.
A quality 'ramp' or banded-ramp front-sight and a fresh barrel crown, would complete the package.
Attachments
Krag_no-drill_sights_011.jpg
Krag_no-drill_sights_011.jpg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

Norwood

Post by Norwood »

Yeah it looks like solder to me which is why it’s sloppy. You can’t blue after solder but you can when it’s brazed. It is a nice stock but it’s going back military so it’s on the auction block. My only concern is that one frame hole is so close to the serial number that fixing it will need the skills of a rocket surgeon

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Use 'filler' screws, as Whig suggested.

IMO - This honest 'hunting conversion' Krag is a nice utility rifle, but, a bad candidate for military restoration. (my unwanted 2 cents)