Rear sight ID help!

U.S. Military Krags
FredC

Re: Rear sight ID help!

Post by FredC »

That could be cleaned up and be a nice looking sporter. The holes could be filled with soft screws and peened then filed and sanded to blend in. The addition a correct rifle sight or a no drill would spiff it up. I could buy that stock and front band from you, but it would cost you more money than it is worth to put it into a military looking configuration.
Many of the regulars here have both sporters to hunt or shoot with plus collectable originals. Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would keep this one for a shooter and take your time and find a more original rifle or carbine.

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Hi Norwood and welcome to the KCA,

I fully understand your desire to restore your Krag to military configuration but as was mentioned earlier, it's going to be an expensive endeavor. Additionally, as was mentioned by you, the barrel is 24 inches instead of 22 or 30 inches for a carbine/rifle respectfully. unless you configure it as a school rifle, you'll need to cut off 2 inches from the barrel. More money than sense would dictated that a better Krag candidate be found for restoration.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

butlersrangers wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:42 pm It looks like it's Lead-Solder, to me.

That would be a very attractive Krag 'Sporting' rifle with an original Krag rear-sight or a 'No-Drill' Receiver 'peep' sight.
A quality 'ramp' or banded-ramp front-sight and a fresh barrel crown, would complete the package.
Man I would love to find me one of those 'No-Drill' Receiver 'peep' sights.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

These 'peep' sights show up on eBay, from time to time.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

butlersrangers wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:30 am These 'peep' sights show up on eBay, from time to time.
Been watching. Lol

Norwood

Post by Norwood »

I appreciate everyone’s concerns really. I already have a couple of Krags of my own and they are fine shooters. I’m former army and have always “grimaced” when I see a cut military but que sera sera. I would much rather shorten it another 2 inches and hand my son a faux carbine, which he would love, than keep as is. I’m not here to present something it’s not, just trying to preserve something of history. I will be letting the stock and the rear sight go to someone here if interested. I’m not interested in selling anywhere else so if anyone perks up just hit me up.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Norwood, if you are wanting to put some kind of peep sight on this Krag, I'd be glad to send you a check for the rear sight. I could pay something like $40 plus shipping to me in Ohio if you are interested. I think a weird conglomeration Krag sight like this would be a fun addition to my Krag sight collection as a "Franken-sight"! It would give you some funds to put towards some replacement parts. I have extra stocks and receivers with sporterized barrels myself I want to get rid of sometime, so, I don't need anything else on your Krag. Let me know. I also suggest thinking about just abandoning this project and buying another sporterized Krag that doesn't need as much work unless you like challenging projects! Glad to hear you have other Krags to enjoy. maybe you could post some pictures of those for us to enjoy. Thanks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Confessions of a 'Bottom Feeder':

For years, I would purchase altered Krag 'Deer Rifles', when they were traded-in at a local gun shop.
I also bought a couple of altered Krags on 'GunBroker'.
(These were basic 'hunting conversions', not fine custom work).

My criteria for purchasing was, a low price, a very good bore, and an abundance of unaltered & useful parts.

By accumulating wood (carbine & cut-down rifle stocks), 'hardware', and sight parts, and sometimes switching components around,
I was able to restore two model 1899 carbines, restore a few infantry rifles, and construct several 'Faux Carbines', that I enjoy as utility/Range Guns.

This has given me many hours of enjoyment and required a lot of study and the development of some new skills.
As several KCA members have warned, Restoration Projects can quickly become money pits.
I was lucky and learned, when to stop.

I don't think that I could be financially successful at some of this 'restoration work', now.
Krag parts have 'dried up' and gotten prohibitively expensive.
A lot of Krags, worthy of 'reworking' or being restored, are now being broken down by 'sharp operators', for the lucrative selling of parts.

Gun owners are free to do with their property as they please. Individuals vary in their interests, skill sets, knowledge, motivation and goals.
KCA Members will be very generous in sharing their insights, experience and views, when asked.
Attachments
krag-still4.jpeg
krag-still4.jpeg (111.45 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
a_little_krag-2.jpg
a_little_krag-2.jpg (442.05 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
a pair of 1899 carbines-1.jpg
a pair of 1899 carbines-1.jpg (329.12 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
two 1899 carbines.jpg
two 1899 carbines.jpg (569.1 KiB) Viewed 2469 times

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Awesome collection!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks, but, only the bottom two model 1899 carbine restorations would be regarded as 'collectable', by many people.

FWIW - It's all about having fun. The top three Krags, get shot the most.

This 'reprocessed' model 1896 is probably my favorite, because it required the most creativity and it's fun to shoot!
Attachments
a faux1896 with peep.jpg
a faux1896 with peep.jpg (87.59 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
a_project96-8.jpg
a_project96-8.jpg (247.17 KiB) Viewed 2461 times