Krag Bolt Failure

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Krag Bolt Failure

Post by Whig »

I found this short piece in a 1955 issue of American Rifleman. Interesting analysis. I really have seen very few true examples of a cracked Krag bolt like this although it has been talked about for over 100 years.
Attachments
Krag bolt failure.jpg
Krag bolt failure.jpg (243.6 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

Blueheeler

Re: Krag Bolt Failure

Post by Blueheeler »

I wonder what the shooter considered "fairly hot"?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks Whig, this should be a KCA "sticky".

This 1955 photo shows where a 'crack' will occur.
(A 'wrinkle' may appear in a bolt's 'surface skin' following this 'crack pattern', but, concealing the underlying crack).

IMO - It is a good idea for Krag shooters to own a spare 'new old stock' bolt, or two.

Also, it is good to inspect Krag bolts at each cleaning and to have a 'Field' headspace gauge.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Could it be 44,000 is a "hot" load for the cartridge? The Ordnance Department drawing from Frankford shows 38,000 as the max pressure.
Attachments
Specification .30-40 dated 1898 05 02.jpg
Specification .30-40 dated 1898 05 02.jpg (273.63 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is good to have an idea of 'what to look for'. I suspect a faulty Krag bolt will give some early warning signs, if heeded.

I have never owned a Krag with a visibly 'cracked' locking-lug.
I have one Krag bolt, that I did 'retire', because of a suggestive & subtle 'wrinkle', that makes a slight "C" curve, from behind the lug to the bolt-face flange.

BTW - Grandpa's Gun Parts has thousands of unissued model 1898 bolts for around $65, each. These will fit all Krag models - Cheap Shooter's Insurance!

Attached photos show faulty bolts, viewed on eBay and GunBroker, years ago:
Attachments
suspect bolt (1).jpg
suspect bolt (1).jpg (338.26 KiB) Viewed 3225 times
CrackedkragboltGB.jpg
CrackedkragboltGB.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

I can't believe that many reloaders would overload a Krag case so much, at least on purpose, to blow a chamber or crack a bolt. These bolts weren't that weak that they cracked with normal use, as history has shown. It seems to be over pressured loads that are the risk. I have examined well over 100 Krag bolts and have never found any cracks or over pressure damage that I have recognized. They should all be examined properly before use. I'm sure there are some out there. It just isn't common.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Hmm... I had better look mine over a bit more carefully.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

waterman

Post by waterman »

I cracked the bolt on my Bannerman M 1896 when using a load recommended in Ken Waters "Pet Loads" book. If you have headspace issues, it is pretty easy to do.

Blueheeler

Post by Blueheeler »

So this thread leads me to to want a Krag field guage, but they are out of stock, would a 303 british work? I think rim thickness is the same.

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Not sure if we still have it but we had a thread concerning the same topic a number of years ago. I believe some of the content discussed had to do with magnetic particle inspection for the determination of metal crack/stress fractures. Neat testing method that revels problem area not readily apparent with the naked eye.