Krag rifle marked 1894

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Krag rifle marked 1894

Post by butlersrangers »

David, you have a very awesome U.S. model 1892 Krag rifle, serial number 12147. It was likely assembled around February to April 1895.

The 1895 'acceptance cartouche' appears realistic to me. The model 1896 rear-sight was adopted in November of 1895. It is quite possible that your m-1892 sight was officially replaced.

The model 1892 is the easiest and least expensive U.S. Krag rear-sight to obtain. If this were my Krag, I would leave the m-1896 sight in-place and get a model 1892 sight as a conversation piece.
I would also get a model 1892 magazine cut-off (which has a flat spring) and keep that part 'loose' with the '92 sight, to show the evolution of parts.

You were smart to get and install the model 1892 extractor. The one with the 'hold-open' pin was scratching your Krag rifle's receiver.
Your 'flat' butt-plate appears to have the correct early screws, which is very neat.

A reproduction full-length model 1892 rod can be purchased from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y., for $45.00. https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=K602

It would be real fun and stimulate discussion, if you would take and share a few more pictures!

I would like to see pictures showing: your rifle's Handguard, the front-sight blade, the bolt-sleeve & safety lever, your stripped bolt, the striker mechanism, and the rod-groove at the rear barrel-band area.

Thanks for sharing your early rifle!

rustychip1959

Post by rustychip1959 »

Dick Hosmer, that would be a negative on the filled in slot in front of the barrel band, funny you say this, I was watching a u-tube vid from Rock Island Auctions, the 1892 they were showing had the filled in slot and it also had the 1896 rear sight, BUT it had the cleaning rod/ramrod.

Butlersrangers, I did find both a sight and extractor on Granpa's Gun Parts, I thought about making my own cleaning rod but for $45.00 it might not be worth it.

I plan on taking more pictures.

1 more question, does the "U" stamp on the barrel band denote a Remington made piece?

That's another thing that surprises me, the lack of any sort of markings or stamps, I have a No.1 mark III* British Lee Enfield and every part has a stamp on it, but most of their component's were made by outside vendors so all parts have at least an acceptance for government use stamp.

Whig

Post by Whig »

If you take the stock off of the receiver, you will see some odd stampings on the barrel and around the hinged area of the magazine. Also, the bolt handle has some stampings. Most of these are not meaningful. There should be a "P" stamp under the barrel in front of the receiver as a proof stamp.

Also, the "U" is a Springfield Armory mark to designate that the open part of the "U" points upward towards the muzzle from the right side of the barrel. Some people mount this backwards.

I would change the rear sight to the original Model 1892 rear sight. It is much more appropriate for your Model 1892 rifle. Your choice.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave - Regarding markings and stampings:

There are lots of subtle markings on U.S. Krags, if you know where to look.
Whig has correctly reported about the copious markings found on Krag receivers, (especially the magazine box).
A lot of the markings were to denote, that parts passed gauging and inspections.
The exact meaning of most of these symbols has been lost to time.
In spite of not seeming as refined and bureaucratic, as British and many European inspection markings,
U.S. Military arms and manufacture were envied for the machine manufacture and interchangeability of parts.
The "American System" became a "model" & goal. It was widely copied by British and European manufacturing.

Barrel-bands are often 'tapered' on interior surfaces, so they are directional.
It was normal on U.S. Military Weapons for a "U" to be stamped on the right-side, as an assembly aid.
As Whig related, the open end of the "U" should point in the same direction as the gun's muzzle.

(The Remington Arms Company, which privately made military type rifles, also used the "U" on barrel-bands.
My 7mm Remington 'Rolling-Block', not a U.S. Government arm, has the "U" on the left-side of the bands).

A great resource for owners of a U.S. model 1892 Krag is the "Rules for Management of the Rifle Model 1892", which was published in 1894 and has been reprinted at times.

https://www.armas.es/files/page/mod_fic ... ag3040.pdf

The 1894 booklet shows Krag model 1892 parts and rifle structure in original form.
Attachments
Rules for Management 1894.jpeg
Rules for Management 1894.jpeg (665 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
KCA handguards-ed.jpg
KCA handguards-ed.jpg (239.55 KiB) Viewed 2516 times

rustychip1959

Post by rustychip1959 »

butlersrangers, thank you for the link to the "rules of management" I will enjoy reading this. I have always enjoyed reading tech type manuals.

I will try to get some good close up pictures when I detail strip this rifle, yes I know only use properly fitting screwdrivers and no big hammers.

One of my biggest gripes(among many)is to see buggered screw slots, especially on firearms, there is not really any excuse.

Whig, also a thank you for the info on the barrel band and proof marks.

I forgot to add the book "The Krag Rifle Story" by Franklin B. Mallory and Ludwig E. Olson is out of stock almost everywhere I have looked and the few places that have it the price is, well lets say I think I could buy another Krag for what their asking.

I did find this book "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", 3rd Edition by Joe Poyer, Craig Riesch. it might not be prefect from what I've read but it's better than nothing.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

David - The Frank Mallory and William Brophey books show up on eBay. Not cheap, but they show up. Mallory's 2nd edition is more useful than the first.

A caution - do not snap Krag handguards off and on the barrel. They crack. The handguard clips are springs, putting considerable inward pressure on the wood.

Remove the rear-sight and the stock. The handguard can then be slid forward, toward the muzzle. The barrel taper relieves the tension so the handguard is easily removed. (Reassemble in reverse). A quarter and a penny can be twisted into the handguard clips for safe storage, while the handguard is off the barrel.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

rustychip1959 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:50 pm Dick Hosmer, that would be a negative on the filled in slot in front of the barrel band, funny you say this, I was watching a u-tube vid from Rock Island Auctions, the 1892 they were showing had the filled in slot and it also had the 1896 rear sight, BUT it had the cleaning rod/ramrod.
Thanks, reason i asked is that the 404 M1896 Cadet rifles (ONLY) had band springs. 398 of them, at least, were converted to standard M1896 rifles by filling in the slot, adding a rifle band, and inletting the buttstock for the lower sling swivel. The Cadet arms may have used 1895-dated stocks, and, no one is absolutely sure of the serial range. I'll have to look out for that video.

rustychip1959

Post by rustychip1959 »

butlersrangers, I will follow your advise on the top hand guard removal, the last thing I want is to damage this.

Dick Hosmer, I don't know if posting u-tube links o.k. but here is the one I watched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-LHnAbAzZM

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thank you so much for supplying the link!

Unfortunately, I had to turn it off about half-way through as I'd had more than enough of the guy's senseless blathering. The first example is NOT an 1892 second pattern, rather it is an 1896 Cadet (or at LEAST in that configuration - perhaps RIA knew it was phony and instructed him to be non-committal). The other rifle appears to have used a Cadet stock - again no mention of that VERY important point. The carbine may have been a low number, but has been restocked.

A very, very dsiappointing video all in all, about 50% valid and 50% "Uncle Charlie" bullshit.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dick, am I ... 'Uncle Charlie'? :o

It can't be easy being the young video person at a gun auction site. You didn't see the "Philippine Constabulary Carbine" segment, did you?

Most gun videos should not have been made.