Quick-Detachable "Peep"

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Quick-Detachable "Peep"

Post by butlersrangers »

I have long been a fan of Receiver "peep" Sights and like the Pacific and Redfield "No-Drill" models, that were made for the U.S. Krag.

These commercial sights allowed civilian owners to add a receiver sight without requiring professional services.
The "No-Drills" used existing openings on the Krag receiver, so no drilling and tapping of mount holes was required.

(Collectors love that no permanent blemishes were inflicted, when these 'sporting' sights were used)!

I do like to leave the magazine cut-off lever, in place, on a Krag.
I never use the magazine cut-off; but I like something occupying the machined cavities of the receiver.

The shaft part of the cut-off lever serves a role in the smooth feed of cartridges, through the Krag action.
The Pacific Krag sights neatly replace the cut-off unit.

The Redfield no. 70K and no. 102K sights require removal of the cut-off lever and leave some "raw edges".
There are aspects of the Redfield "No-Drill" sights, that I prefer.

I experimented using a Redfield no. 102K sight on a Krag, leaving the magazine cut-off lever in place,
and dispensing with the Sheetmetal plate that is screwed to the back of the base and hooks into the cut-off opening.
The only thing attaching the sight was the extra-long side-plate screw, that replaces the original SA screw.

This seemed to work, but later, I noticed there had been some rotation of the sight-base on the single anchor screw.

I improvised a replacement plate from a strip of scrap copper. Instead of a 'hook', the copper plate is shaped to the contour of the cut-off lever and has a 'finger' that fits under the lever.
The copper plate prevents the cut-off lever from being accidentally applied and it hold the sight from moving or rotating on the single mounting screw.

The Redfield sight is now solid and can be quickly taken off and put on any U.S. Krag rifle, by removing and switching one screw.

(BTW - The long side-plate screw, in the photo, was fashioned from a replica 1903 Springfield rear barrel-band screw. The screw was cut to length and the shank reduced in diameter, just above the threads).
Attachments
IMG_4229.JPG
IMG_4229.JPG (274.67 KiB) Viewed 2196 times
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4228.JPG (188.36 KiB) Viewed 2196 times

scottz63

Re: Quick-Detachable "Peep"

Post by scottz63 »

Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for, Thanks!!

I really want one of these for my Krag. I have a couple of other no-drill peeps for My Enfields. One for a No.1 and one for a No.4 Both Parker Hale branded.
PH5C61.jpg
PH5C61.jpg (376.82 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Your Parker-Hale sight looks pretty awesome!

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

butlersrangers wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:58 am Your Parker-Hale sight looks pretty awesome!
Thanks! Parker Hale built some great quality sights back in the day. I'll have to find a pic of the one for my No.1 somewhere.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

I won one for my Krag! I'll post pics when it arrives. :)

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Sneak peek before it arrives. Supposed to be here Thursday. Pic from the auction. :)
s-l1600small.jpg
s-l1600small.jpg (136.16 KiB) Viewed 1778 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Scottz63' - Nice looking Redfield sight.

The only downside, I see, to the 'micrometer' No-Drill Redfield models, is that there is no 'quick-release button',
to allow fast removal of the 'top' unit, from the fixed base.

The elevation/windage and eye-piece staff needs to be almost removed, to enable the Krag's Bolt to be taken out of the receiver, for gun cleaning.

This action is very clumsy with the Redfield model 70-KT sight. The elevation staff has to be nearly totally "unscrewed" to have adequate clearance.
The 'sighted-in' elevation setting may be a bit off when the top unit is returned to prior setting.

Just removing the side-plate mounting screw, and taking the whole sight off your rifle for Bolt removal, will be easier for cleaning and probably better preserves your sight-settings.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Butlersrangers- Thanks! I can deal with that. Most of my other peep sights have the 'quick-release button'. This one does have some good features I really like though. It has the thumb wheel adjustable knobs, comes with the longer side plate screw, has a nice feature diopter, and I got it for what I believe is a very fair price if not a great price. In fact, less than half the price I paid for my Parker Hale sights. I'm happy so far. My old eyes work much better with close up peep sights than anything else. Lol

I have to make me one of those fancy copper mounting plates you have shown for mine when it comes in. :)

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A strip of brass, aluminum, or steel, of appropriate thickness, will work just as well for a replacement rear-mounting bracket.
This will allow the 'cut-off' lever to remain in place, but immobilized.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Gonna do just that. Thanks!

Do you happen to remember the thickness of the piece you used?