"Type 7" Handguard For 1901 Rifle Sight?

U.S. Military Krags
Stretch32

"Type 7" Handguard For 1901 Rifle Sight?

Post by Stretch32 »

I recently purchased a Krag rifle project from a friend with a handguard on it that I bought off eBay for him several years ago that fits a 1901 sight. I had never paid much attention to this handguard until the other day when I realized it did not look like a normal rifle handguard for a 1901 sight. Looking through my copy of Brophy's book, there are no handguards that he shows that remotely look like this one. After research and some examination I assumed it was a poorly inletted reproduction (although well done in terms of quality of the actual cutting and sanding) that has been made a long time ago given that it looked pretty old.

Today, I was poking through Poyer's book on the Krag (I had never seen a copy before) and came across a line drawing of a handguard that appears to be exactly like the one I have. Poyer calls this a "Type 7" handguard and his information says it was the earliest version of handguard used on the '96 and '98 rifles with the 1901 sight before the more common version we generally see was used.

Outside of the line drawing in Poyer's book, I can't find any other pictures on the 'net to see what these handguards actually looked like and confirm what I have. Does anyone have any further info on these handguards and, if so, can you post pictures?

Stretch
Attachments
Type 7 HG 5 Low Res.jpg
Type 7 HG 5 Low Res.jpg (970.95 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Type 7 HG 3 Low Res.jpg
Type 7 HG 3 Low Res.jpg (933.11 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Type 7 HG 1 Low Res.jpg
Type 7 HG 1 Low Res.jpg (878.97 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: "Type 7" Handguard For 1901 Rifle Sight?

Post by Ned Butts »

Poyer's "types" are a PITA. The hand guard on the right is Model 1898 used for the '98 and '02 sight. it has been modified to fit the 1901 rear sight. the rounded "scallops" are desgined for the eye piece of those sights

Whig

Post by Whig »

Here's a picture from KCA website showing the different hand guards and which carbines or rifles they are used on:
Attachments
Krag hand guards.jpeg
Krag hand guards.jpeg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 1918 times

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Gents,

Thanks for the replies and the info.

I’ve seen the picture posted by Whig and it’s what made me realize this handguard didn’t look like any 1901 sight handguard I’d seen.

Only as a point of reference, the handguard I have isn’t modified from a ‘98 / ‘02 handguard. With it mounted on a rifle, the hole is cut too far forward and too small in length to accommodate any sight other than the ‘01 sight. The sight mounting screw holes on the barrel don’t even remotely line up with the ‘98 / ‘02 sight. There’s no evidence of the hole being filled and recut either. Also, the scallops on the sides aren’t as pronounced as those of a ‘98 / ‘02 sight and most likely wouldn’t clear the head of these sights if they could be mounted with this handguard.

In the end, it’s probably someone’s interpretation of an ‘01 sight handguard but I am curious where Poyer came up with his info and why someone would have spent so much effort (more than for a actual ‘01 sight handguard) to make this.

Stretch

jrmartin1964

Post by jrmartin1964 »

"The sight mounting screw holes on the barrel don’t even remotely line up with the ‘98 / ‘02 sight."

I was under the impression that the screw holes in the barrel were in the same location, regardless of sight model. Is this not correct?

Jim

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

jrmartin1964 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:29 pm "The sight mounting screw holes on the barrel don’t even remotely line up with the ‘98 / ‘02 sight."

I was under the impression that the screw holes in the barrel were in the same location, regardless of sight model. Is this not correct?

Jim
I think that is correct that the sight holes all match up no matter the sight. Someone will come along and say for sure. I know I recently went from an 1896 sight to a 1902 sight on my 1898 Krag and the holes matched up perfectly.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The holes themselves NEVER changed, but the varying sight base sizes and footprints did. Hand guards had to be shaped differently to suit them.

Footprint "A": 1892R, 1896R, 1896C (but with different short, hump, no hump, hand guard forms)
Footprint "B": 1901R & C (but with different hand guard styles)
Footprint "C": 1898R & C, 1902R & C (ONE hand guard covers ALL four applications

There is no way to change the footprint for which any given hand guard is prepped. The only "conversion" of which I am aware is that a serviceable short 96C guard may be carefully cut from the much more common rifle version. If exceptionally well done it could even pass as original.

jrmartin1964

Post by jrmartin1964 »

Thanks Dick Hosmer for clearing that up for me.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding Stretch32's post regarding the sight mounting holes in the barrel. If I'm understanding correctly now, perhaps what was meant is that the handguard in question will not allow a Model 1898 or Model 1902 rear sight to be mounted, hence the statement that "the holes don't even remotely line up."

Jim

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If you attempt to use an 'issue' handguard with an incorrect U.S. Krag rear-sight,
the handguard 'sight-opening' will not allow the sight-base to be positioned directly over the barrel mounting-holes.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Sorry for the confusion.

As mentioned above, I was trying to say the hand guard in question will only allow a 1901 sight to line up with the screw holes in the barrel. While the cutout of this hand guard appears to be very similar to a '98 / '02 sight hand guard, the dimensions of the hole only fit the 1901 sight.

Clear as mud? :-)

Stretch