What can you tell me?

U.S. Military Krags
Hogg44

What can you tell me?

Post by Hogg44 »

I received this rifle from Dad. Looking for information on it. It came with a weaver scope on weaver side mount. I removed it in order to get SN etc.
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... ew&id=8264
Attachments
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg (90.71 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
IMG_0535.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 1526 times

scottz63

Re: What can you tell me?

Post by scottz63 »

Well, not a whole lot to say. It's an 1898 Krag that has been sporterized with a cut down stock and drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Serial number puts it made in 1899. Looks in pretty good shape. How is the bore condition?
Last edited by scottz63 on Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Whig

Post by Whig »

Hi, Hogg! Welcome again.

This gives more information than your post in the other gun section. Yes, it has been altered to the point of not being able to be returned to military configuration with the holes drilled in the receiver and the cut down rifle stock.

I still show this Krag serial number 152723 being made around November 1898 and being antique. How is the bore? Anything in the butt stock where the oiler and cleaning rods are kept? It can hopefully be a good shooting Krag for you.

The sling looks nice and the gun looks to be in fairly nice condition, other than the scope mount holes, from the pictures. Close ups can help more.

Getting a Krag from your dad, though, is quite special. Do you know anything more about its history? Thanks for these couple pictures.
Last edited by Whig on Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hogg44

Post by Hogg44 »

Thank you Scottz. Did the original stock run the full barrel length? Also there is a little “trap door” in the butt, I haven’t tried to open it. Can you tell me what the purpose is and if there is trick to opening it. Also how do you remove the bolt? Thanks in advance. Hogg

Hogg44

Post by Hogg44 »

I believe my Dad got the gun from his Father in Law who is long past. It came with a leather bullet belt full of ammo and a box of ammo with a $10 price tag on it. Pretty cool old stuff. Other than that I don’t know any other history. I would assume it was his main Deer hunting rifle.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Whig wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm Hi, Hogg! Welcome again.

This gives more information than your post in the other gun section. Yes, it has been altered to the point of not being able to be returned to military configuration with the holes drilled in the receiver and the cut down rifle stock.

I still show this Krag serial number 152723 being made around November 1898 and being antique. How is the bore? Anything in the butt stock where the oiler and cleaning rods are kept? It can hopefully be a good shooting Krag for you.

The sling looks nice and the gun looks to be in fairly nice condition, other than the scope mount holes, from the pictures. Close ups can help more.

Getting a Krag from your dad, though, is quite special. Do you know anything more about its history? Thanks for these couple pictures.
Oh, I'm sorry! The serial number list I have lists 152723 as 1899. My fault. :oops:

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Your buttstock trapdoor may contain an oiler and cleaning rod sections. Might want to check. Gently use a tool such as a screwdriver with some tape over the end if you can not get it open with your finger.
CleanKit2.jpg
CleanKit2.jpg (128.7 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
CleanKit1.jpg
CleanKit1.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 1501 times

Hogg44

Post by Hogg44 »

Got the trap door open. Nothing inside☹️

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Hogg44 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:24 pm Got the trap door open. Nothing inside☹️
That's ok, there usually is nothing inside unless you put it there. They can be bought if you so desire.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

IIRC, the cut-off number used by BATF to determine antiquity is 152670 - if that is accurate, the rifle is (just!) over the line, and would have to be treated as a modern firearm, so far as sale, transfer, shipping is concerned., etc. A STUPID rule - "your tax dollars at work."

Guns such as the Krag which were made on both sides of the line should be special cases given the benefit of the doubt. Not exactly the bank robber's weapon of choice . . . .