Krag Better Than M16?

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Knute1

Krag Better Than M16?

Post by Knute1 »

Scooby Dooby Dooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Knute1 on Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottz63

Re: Krag Better Than M16?

Post by scottz63 »

Yeeeee Hawwwww!!!!
Last edited by scottz63 on Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Cdr.Rick

Post by Cdr.Rick »

YES! hated the M-16 in Vietnam

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

OK, I've had a few days to think about it. As some may have figured out, I changed my original post as I thought it to be of no great interest. But...I have changed my mind. I have mostly done research on the Krag based more on the history, including attitudes to its existence, trying to find the story behind "The Krag Story".

I am not comparing the Krag to an M16. Others have. Others that apparently were in the military. The link below from an article in 1973 is the comparison being referred to. An article that came out before the internet existed with the wealth of information that can be found on just about anything (not saying that all of the information is factual).

So, I will present the link once again to share with others that may find it of interest. If somebody does not find it of any value to them, expressing an opinion as such, it should not thwart me from seeing if it is of interest to others. As time goes on and I feel that I am wasting my time sharing this kind of info, then I'll keep my research to myself. For now, I'll approach this more on the positive side.

Cdr. Rick, I appreciate your response. Interested in what you have to say about the M16. I have shot both the Krag and M16 derivative and have experienced some pros and cons to each. I will add that I never had to use either one to defend myself or my country.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/In ... frontcover

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Knute, your posts are always interesting.
However, Football today!

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

While it may be hard to compare the two... the krag is quite capable of holding its own and even outshooting garands, ar15s (civilian swine m16s) swedes and so on. At least in 200yd competitions

Here are two videos of me running a krag in competition

https://youtu.be/RWJoZQta02U?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/XFGoJ64nors?feature=shared

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Wooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO after going back to the beginning of the thread.

Well, now that we got that out of our system(s), we can move on.

RickyG, being left-handed makes operating the bolt more difficult unless I have the forend resting on something. Then actually I can manipulate the bolt with my right-hand without my trigger finger leaving its position. I see that you can manipulate that bolt rather quickly.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My son is a lefty... and he did just fine shooting my 98 in the Roosevelt Match a few years in a row! Actually, you should see him working the bolt of his Type 99 Arisaka in a Rapid Fire string in the Vintage Match... mesmerizing!!! Also, I have a friend who's left handed and has WON matches shooting his 96 in Vintage Matches... regularly shooting north of 290 out of 300 at 200 yards!!!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Paul, I know you have posted some videos. Perhaps you can post them on this string so some newer members can see the surprising rapidity to shoot and reload the Krag.

The article in the link posted took me by surprise on the argument for the Krag. I did not previously think of comparing a Krag to an M16. But there it was in a military periodical during the Vietnam era. The arguments made gave some pluses to the Krag. Mainly, the round itself. Longer range and power was sighted. This appears where the military is now headed with the new service rifle recently developed, recognizing some ballistic limitations with the 5.56x45 round. The argument also discussed the greater efficiency of the Krag determined by number of shots taken per hit. However, it was recognized that the M16 could put more rounds downrange in a given time. Then again, the writer cited that the automatic mode was not as significant of an advantage, but was more "psychological".

Don't get me wrong. I am not berating the M16/AR15. It's currently Amerca's rifle. It must be one helluva gun since politicians are trying to remove the platform from civilian hands, including my state of Illinois. You can trust that I am in the fight to protect 2A, presently involved in a lawsuit against the state that for 6 months had a temporary restraining order against the Governor and States Attorney. We lost that TRO due to an overzealous politician, but it is now in an appelate court.

Also, note that the military had considered a .22 caliber cartridge long before the 5.56x45 cartridge came out. I believe I saw reference to it in an ordnance report before WWI (not WWII). If I can find it again I'll provide a link for evidence.

So, that's all I have. Just an oddity coming out of a military periodical in 1973.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

I know the M1 Garand was tried in .276 and was considered for use during trials prior to WW2.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer