For poking fun and off topic subjects
SFCRayT

Post by SFCRayT »

Hello, would like to take the time to introduce myself. I'm a retired NYPD Officer and Veteran, living in Southwest Virginia. I'm new to the forum and have registered to learn a bit about these fantastic rifles. I only own one Krag at the moment Its a 1899 carbine, with a 359xxx serial no. Probably made in 1902. I've had it for quite a few years. Nothing really special as far as Krags go, I guess. But this one is unit marked. It is stamped on the trigger guard with the markings, "6 CAV TP K" and on the bottom of the stock grip it is also pressed stamped "6 CAV TP K", in the wood. The patina on the stamping looks consistent with the age of the rifle. My questions: are the markings indeed original, and do they add any value to the rifle? I have no intentions of selling the rifle, but would like know the value and the history behind it. Would like to know if it really did com from the 6th Cav and how could I go about getting any provenance for this particular gun? Thanks for your time, will send pictures soon.
Ray Tirado

butlersrangers

Re: New Member

Post by butlersrangers »

'SFCRayT' - Welcome to the KCA Forum!

Model 1899 carbines are one of my favorite Krag models.

Some clear close-up pictures of your carbine's markings, will help stimulate feedback and discussion.

Your model 1899 carbine in the 359XXX range, probably dates from around November of 1901.

Here is a photo of two carbines, (that I restored), from the 349XXX range.
They were probably assembled a month ahead of yours.
Attachments
a pair of 1899 carbines-1.jpg
a pair of 1899 carbines-1.jpg (329.12 KiB) Viewed 1557 times

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Welcome here SFCRayT!! :)

Yes, it would be very interesting to see some pics of your Carbine and especially the Unit markings on it.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Whig

Post by Whig »

Ray,

Welcome to KCA. Please try to post some pictures of your Krag carbine. Keep the size smaller so they can load. Many people own very nice military configuration Model 1899 Krags. Yours is probably still in great condition and can probably still shoot very well. I'm interested in what rear sight is on your Krag and if it is the correct carbine rear sight. Pictures will show that. Also, is there still a cartouche stamping on the left side of the stock below the receiver? Is there anything in the butt of the stock where the oiler and cleaning rods are kept? How is the bore? These are some of the details we like to learn about with a new Krag to our site.

Your Krag possibly, based on it's date of manufacture, could have seen some action in one of the wars or skirmishes fought by Americans but it's more likely that someone in the 6th Volunteer Calvary bought this Krag after having served and marked it to remember using a Krag himself during an earlier war. These kind of memorial markings are seen on many Krags but do not usually signify, or guarantee, that this specific Krag was used during that specific battle. The 6th Calvary Regiment fought in the Spanish-American War, the Boxer Rebellion and the Philippine-American War, as well as others. Some of their volunteers actually fought beside Teddy Rosevelt's Rough Riders in the Spanish-American War and were called the "Weary Walkers" because they didn't have horses to ride!

Whereas there are a few Krags with serial numbers starting with 359-XXX, none of them are listed as having been assigned to the 6th Calvary Regiment. Posting the entire serial number is important to research any specific history related to your carbine and really puts you at no risk of problems related to revealing the number. So, I believe that the marking of your Krag was done for memorial purposes and not to reflect that it was historically connected directly to a soldier in that Troop. It sure does add to the mystique of your carbine, though, doesn't it!

The first pre-pubescent soldier in the close up picture below is wearing a fob off of his belt labeled "K" probably for the Troop he is in! Too bad he's not carrying your Krag Model 1899 carbine!

Hopefully you can shoot your carbine and report back to us your range experience. Thanks for stopping by!
Attachments
Krags in military use 2.jpeg
Krags in military use 2.jpeg (634.86 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
Krags in military use 1.jpeg
Krags in military use 1.jpeg (189.63 KiB) Viewed 1545 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Whig, not to find fault or hijack this thread, but, those are not soldiers in the photos that you posted.
They are students at "Kemper Military School", (in Missouri), circa 1912.

I posted the photos years ago on the KCA Forum.
The photographs are from the Tiffany Williams Collection (University of Michigan Library).

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

SFCRayT wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:49 am Hello, would like to take the time to introduce myself. I'm a retired NYPD Officer and Veteran, living in Southwest Virginia. I'm new to the forum and have registered to learn a bit about these fantastic rifles. I only own one Krag at the moment Its a 1899 carbine, with a 359xxx serial no. Probably made in 1902. I've had it for quite a few years. Nothing really special as far as Krags go, I guess. But this one is unit marked. It is stamped on the trigger guard with the markings, "6 CAV TP K" and on the bottom of the stock grip it is also pressed stamped "6 CAV TP K", in the wood. The patina on the stamping looks consistent with the age of the rifle. My questions: are the markings indeed original, and do they add any value to the rifle? I have no intentions of selling the rifle, but would like know the value and the history behind it. Would like to know if it really did com from the 6th Cav and how could I go about getting any provenance for this particular gun? Thanks for your time, will send pictures soon.
Ray Tirado
Welcome to the Greatest Krag Forum in the known universe, Ray. You need to be aware that any information extant is scanty at best. Many of the great men who did Krag research were hampered by a lack of source material. It would be like me researching the S&W .38s serial numbers assigned to which missile site between July 1978 and December 1982. It might exist in some archive somewhere but probably not. And anything we do know is just a snap shot in time for any particular rifle or carbine. Too bad they cannot talk. Oh the stories they could tell.

Now on to the important stuff. How does it shoot? Are you stocked up on ammo? What?! Why not?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:16 pm Whig, not to find fault or hijack this thread, but, those are not soldiers in the photos that you posted.
They are students at "Kemper Military School", (in Missouri), circa 1912.

I posted the photos years ago on the KCA Forum.
The photographs are from the Tiffany Williams Collection (University of Michigan Library).
Oh cool!!! I live about 25 miles from there.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

A Huge Welcome to the family Ray! Always love seeing new members here...

SFCRayT

Re: New Member pics for 1899

Post by SFCRayT »

Thank you all for your responses and comments. Here are pictures of my 1899. I'm much more proficient at taking pics of Garand's and o3 springs, and Mausers, as I know what to look for in those rifles. I'm new to Krags, so if there is something I did not include, let me know. There is no cartouche on this stock. The only stock markings are the "5" and "1" under and near the bolt. The wood has the original patina of the entire gun. Which appears to me to be the same age as the gun itself.
Attachments
30 5.jpeg
30 5.jpeg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
30 4.jpeg
30 4.jpeg (122.88 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
30 3.jpeg
30 3.jpeg (154.48 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
30 2.jpeg
30 2.jpeg (149 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
30 1.jpeg
30 1.jpeg (64.16 KiB) Viewed 1132 times

SFCRayT