Parts Interchangeability?

U.S. Military Krags
Stretch32

Parts Interchangeability?

Post by Stretch32 »

I'm curious if any other parts from firearms produced by SA are compatible with the Krag ie: were parts from other rifles also used on the Krag?

If there is any compatibility, does someone have a list of these parts?

I'm curious because I have access to boxes of small parts sorted between various rifles (Trapdoor, Krag, 1903) and I'm wondering if SA simply used generic parts across all three types of rifles (like screws, sling swivels, carbine band retaining springs, etc.).

Stretch

butlersrangers

Re: Parts Interchangeability?

Post by butlersrangers »

Some screws will interchange, between U.S. Arms. (identical threads)

The Krag and 1903 Springfield share similar trigger-guard/action screws and sling-swivel screws.

I've used 1903A3 rear sling-swivel mounting screws as replacement trigger-guard mounting screws on a model 1866 'trapdoor' Springfield rifle.

Some barrel-band springs may interchange.

It all kind of requires trial and error.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Re-written for clarity: Rumor has it that the trigger plate screws from CW muskets (or newly-made copies) were used where a small wood screw was needed, through the TD, Krag, and '03 periods, all the way to the M1 Carbine of WW2.
Last edited by Dick Hosmer on Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Gents,

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. Looking at this, many parts look similar if not the same but it’s always interesting to know with certainty whether or not they are.

I guess I’ll try a few part swaps and see what happens.

Stretch