Want To Put An Unusual Barrel On A Krag

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Want To Put An Unusual Barrel On A Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

The experimental .30-40 'trapdoor' rifles seem to have been made for .30 cal. 'smokeless' cartridge development and tests.

They were 'shop test rifles', with alterations to make them stronger, so they could serve as a 'baseline' in cartridge, propellant, bullet (construction), and rifling pattern, comparisons & selection.

These 'experimental trapdoors' served a role in finding the ammunition and barrel form for the desired "Magazine Rifle", they were not candidates for a new rifle.

The OP asked for "our thoughts". I've given mine.

Attached photos are of one of the .30-40 experimental trapdoors, from the late-Bill Rutter collection/auction:
Attachments
trapdoor letter-N.jpg
trapdoor letter-N.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 785 times
trapdoor N detail.jpg
trapdoor N detail.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 785 times
trapdoor N front band.jpg
trapdoor N front band.jpg (20.66 KiB) Viewed 785 times

FredC

Re: Want To Put An Unusual Barrel On A Krag

Post by FredC »

Starmetal wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:39 pm Okay I've been rethinking this. The best way to do this is buy a new barrel and thread/chamber it for the Krag action. I have a bunch of Krags and this is is a junker. I have many in original 30-40 that shoot better then just excellent. As far as 32 Special availability that is of zero concern for me as I reload and I'd be shooting cast bullets anyways. I just wanted an easy way to make a 32 Special out of it, or for that matter a 30-30. Now some people have converted them to 303 British and that I do consider a little bit much for the Krag action.

Do you fellows know that when the U.S. first came up with the 30-40 cartridge that they barreled up a Springfield Trapdoor for it? Then they dropped it figuring it was a tad too much for the Trapdoor.
If you wanted something to hit a little harder than a 30/40 and still operate safely at 30/40 pressures a 35/40 might be the answer. Either bore your barrel out to 35 or have a new barrel made to 35/40. A 35/40 will be about 1/2 way between a 35 Remington and a Winchester 35/08 when using 40K pressures. That is a pretty good neighborhood.

https://kragcollectorsassociation.org/k ... .php?t=719

https://kragcollectorsassociation.org/k ... php?t=5004