J.F.C. Stock Cartouche on 1898 Krag Rifle?

U.S. Military Krags
Hammer

J.F.C. Stock Cartouche on 1898 Krag Rifle?

Post by Hammer »

I'm new to this Forum and over the years I've collected all types of later US Military Bolt action rifles but I've never had a Krag and a friend is willing to part with the only Krag he has in his collection of MilSurps if I want it. His Krag is in the 1902 Serial Number range but it has a boxed J.F.C. stock cartouche where the script JSA should be and can I assume this is most likely an arsenal rebuilt / replacement stock?

I'm curious how common these arsenal rebuild / replacement stocks are, and how much it may decrease the value of this otherwise "correct" 1898 Krag?

Thanks!!!
Attachments
Krag Stock.jpg
Krag Stock.jpg (203.61 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

Whig

Re: J.F.C. Stock Cartouche on 1898 Krag Rifle?

Post by Whig »

Hammer,

Welcome to KCA! You may be fortunate to acquire a correct Model 1898 Krag rifle from your friend. If it is indeed correct, whether it has the original stock or not, you may have a great treasure that you can enjoy and learn about. These Krags carry a ton of history. Many, actually MOST, Krags are not in the original arsenal configuration they were in when they left the Springfield Armory. There have been many changes and updates to parts and arsenal changes for worn out or damaged parts. Stocks were often switched if they were damaged. Anyone outside of an armory can switch stocks around also.

Many Krags have been altered outside of the armories and arsenals, though. In the early 1900s, after around 1904, many Krags were altered for school and military training use. The initials J. F. C. in box letters stands for an inspector from Springfield Armory, I believe, named J. F. Coyle. Many sources document that his initials, like on your stock, were put on Krag rifles that were altered for use by the Philippine Constabulary soldiers made at Springfield Armory. I believe that these initials more likely were used for Model 1899 carbines altered to take a knife bayonet and sling called school rifles.

There may be more opinions about these initials. I collect Krags but don't have any with this cartouche. I'm real curious about this Krag to see why these initials are on the stock.

If your Krag is in full military configuration, these initials do not detract from its value at all. It is more important, for valuation, that the Krag has not been cut down in the barrel length, had an after-market front sight applied, had holes drilled and tapped into the receiver for a scope mount, or other permanent damage. These kind of sporterized Krags have less value but can still be good shooting and hunting rifles and carbines.

So, please tell us more about your friend's Krag and get more pictures for us to enjoy. We like pictures of the receiver, muzzle, sights and full length pictures of both sides.We'll get you hooked right quick!

Whig

Post by Whig »

If this Krag's serial number is 35407X, I barely can read the serial number from the picture, it could be in the range of a Model 1899 Krag carbine. Pictures, of course, will help a lot! Carbines have a barrel exactly 22 inches long measured from the muzzle to the closed bolt face. Rifles have 30 inch barrels. All Model 1899 (as marked on the receiver) Krags were made originally as carbines.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Its a 1898 Rifle with SerNo in the 364XXX range. Its not cut down and hasn't been sporterized. It appears to be in its full Military configuration as far I can tell. It has a Bayonet & Scabbard and sling. It has the Peep Hole type rear sight. Can you tell from the picture if its got a correct front leaf sight?
When I purchase it I'll be glad to post more pictures.
Attachments
Krag 1.JPG
Krag 1.JPG (244.45 KiB) Viewed 1406 times
Krag 2.JPG
Krag 2.JPG (100.91 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

Front sight looks good, Model 1901 rifle rear sight looks good, sling looks good, bayonet and scabbard look good. It will be nice to see more pictures but it looks like you may have a winner! Bore condition will be important as well as bolt and chamber. Are cleaning rods and oiler in the butt stock? Good honest Krag so far.

Nice friend! Nice Krag (so far from these few pictures)!

Whig

Post by Whig »

The Springfield Research Service records list some Krag rifles with serial numbers in the 364,XXX range as having Cole Elliptical Bores with a 10" twist. I have never seen this mentioned before and don't know what it is. Maybe someone else has seen this information. The exact serial number of your Krag is needed to check on this for sure, when you can post it.

ADDENDUM: Mallory discusses the Cole Rifling in his second edition. Apparently, four Krag rifles were equipped with Cole barrels, developed by Dr. W.F. Cole, which had 1 in 10" rifling to aid in accuracy. The Cole barreled Krag rifles had slightly better accuracy at 500 yards than standard Krag rifles. Further testing with different twist rates were not very impressive so the idea was dropped. It would be amazing if your Krag was one of these but I don't think the serial number matches from what I see. Let us know, though, to make sure.
Last edited by Whig on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Whig - I didn’t want to post the full six digit serial number because I don’t own the rifle yet and I just want to respect its current owner until I purchase it. Of course now you have me very curious about the bore and 10’ twist question.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

I searched online and saw some JSA script 1902 stocks for sale for about $450. But if the JFC stamped stock is not a red flag i’ll probably just opt to leave it in the stock that it looks like it’s been in for a long long time 8-)

Whig

Post by Whig »

Yes, keep the stock. It adds some mystique to your Krag.

Hammer

Post by Hammer »

Thanks Whig. I just sent you a PM.