Reloading for 35/40 Krag

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
madsenshooter

Re: Reloading for 35/40 Krag

Post by madsenshooter »

Hodgdon has load data for the 358 Win with start loads expressed in CUP. Probably more for .356 Win. Oops, wrong. No pressure data for .356.

FredC

Re: Reloading for 35/40 Krag

Post by FredC »

Madsenshooter,
Early on in this journey I found out that 30/40 and 308 were very similar in powder capacity. Thus 358 Winchester and 35 Krag are very close also. Which led me to understand a staring load for 358W that was 40K will be very close to the max load for the 35 Krag. So one of the things I was looking for is a powder that could be loaded to less than 35K in a Krag with no danger of detonation from too light a load. I think I found that in Varget. I seem to remember loads for 35 Remington that were well below 35K. Turns out my fired cases have more water capacity than 35W, so a Varget load that shows 40K in 35W will actually be running a little lower in mine. I picked a load that was a grain or 2 below that and my rifle has drawn blood twice now. When I get the cataract fixed in my right eye, I may try to get a load that is dialed in for target shooting. Right now the load is good enough and definitely does not hurt my shoulder.