The DCM, the NRA, and the Krag Carbine

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
jrmartin1964

The DCM, the NRA, and the Krag Carbine

Post by jrmartin1964 »

In the book "The Krag Rifle" by Lt. Col. Brophy, the year 1926 is given as the year Benicia Arsenal began altering Krag rifles, by cutting the barrels to 22 inches and fitting M1903 front sights, to create what has come to be known variously as the D.C.M., or N.R.A., or Benicia carbine, and that these conversions from rifle to carbine were carried out exclusively at Benicia. Likewise, "The Krag Rifle Story" by Mallory & Olson supposes the conversion of Krag rifles into carbines to have occurred only at Benicia Arsenal.

Being a curious sort, I waded through back-issues of The American Rifleman (and its predecessor, Arms and the Man) and discovered the following notice in the November 1, 1922, issue of Arms and the Man:
ARMS AVAILABLE TO RIFLEMEN
The supply of Krag carbines of all models, formerly sold by the Bureau of Civilian marksmanship has been exhausted. A new supply is being made at Rock Island Arsenal from Krag rifles by cutting the barrels off to 22 inches and fitting with carbine stocks. On account of the extra work involved the price of these carbines is $10.00 each. They are in good condition.

The manner of front sight is not mentioned at this time, but the following appears in the July 15, 1923, issue of The American Rifleman:
The carbines now on hand were made by cutting down Krag rifles to 22 inches and fitting them with the Springfield front sight.

For the next few years, interspersed with announcements of the discovery of an occasional small supply of regular carbines at various arsenals and depots (reported in conditions ranging from "good" to "bruised stock and handguard' to "pitted barrels, missing rear sight and handguard"), the cut-down rifles announced in 1922 continue to be available. No further mention, however, is made as to whether these modified rifles continue to originate at Rock Island or elsewhere.

It is not until the January 15, 1926, issue of The American Rifleman that the first mention of Benicia Arsenal in connection with rifles cut down to carbine appears:
This office has for sale to N.R.A. members at the present time a quantity of Krag rifles, cut down to carbine length (22 inches), and fitted with a Model 1903 (Springfield) front sight. These are priced at $8.02 and shipped from Benicia, California. - Lt. Col. G. C. Shaw, Director, DCM

My hope was that there might have been some mention of the rear sights these cut-down rifles were fitted with, but my page-by-page search (which covered July 1, 1920, to December 1931) turned up nothing directly from the D.C.M. regarding the rear sights. What I did find, though, came from Lt. Col. Townsend Whelen in response to questions submitted to The American Rifleman's staff. On two occasions he stated that the cut-down Krags were not sighted after their conversion but retained their rifle sight (model not stated), and that the blade of the Springfield front sight was left purposefully too tall so it could be filed down by the purchaser to correspond with the rear sight's 100-yard setting.

Note that those cut-down rifles originating from Rock Island are described as being fitted with carbine stocks, while the stocks of those coming from Benicia are not specified.

Jim

butlersrangers

Re: The DCM, the NRA, and the Krag Carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

Jim - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

Thank you for sharing your effort and research into the interesting and short-lived "DCM - NRA Carbine" alterations & sales program.

I do not own a real "DCM Carbine", but, I did purchase a sales record 'packet' on eBay, some years back.
I believe the careful owner, Mr. West, likely penciled the serial number on this 1929 receipt, to verify his ownership.

For your research notes:
Attachments
benicia_receipt-edit1.jpg
benicia_receipt-edit1.jpg (212.63 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
benicia_receipt-edit2.jpg
benicia_receipt-edit2.jpg (200.4 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

jrmartin1964

Post by jrmartin1964 »

butlersrangers,
Thank you for the images of the paperwork, it is greatly appreciated. The DCM-NRA Carbines have become something of an obsession for me. I don't have one, but find their elusive nature fascinating. So little is known about them, and evidently at least part of the "conventional wisdom" that surrounds them is not entirely correct.

Jim

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The tough part, about the 'so called' Krag DCM/NRA carbine, is that even I can make a 'replica'.

I suppose being shipped from Benicia Arsenal does not guarantee that all of them were fabricated at Benicia?

jrmartin1964

Post by jrmartin1964 »

butlersrangers wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:08 pm The tough part, about the 'so called' Krag DCM/NRA carbine, is that even I can make a 'replica'.

I suppose being shipped from Benicia Arsenal does not guarantee that all of them were fabricated at Benicia?
"I suppose being shipped from Benicia Arsenal does not guarantee that all of them were fabricated at Benicia?"

From June of 1920 through July of 1931, information provided by the D.C.M. consistently stated that Krag rifles and carbines held in storage were shipped to the purchaser from whichever Arsenal or Depot holding them was nearest to the purchaser. It does not seem to have been the policy to ship purchased arms between facilities. However, on those occasions when it is reported that the supply of “carbines” at Benicia has run out, it is reported that more rifles were being sent to there for modification. It would seem that once the work of transforming rifles into carbines had begun at Benicia (in late 1925), that work was then exclusive to Benicia. So, the modified “carbines” reported to have made at Rock Island in 1922 would have shipped from that point to the purchaser. Likewise, those reported made at Benicia would have shipped from Benicia.

I note that the 1922 Rock Island modified “carbines” are the only instance where use of the Model 1899 carbine stock is mentioned. In July 1923, Col. C. E. Stodter (Director of the D.C.M.) said “The carbines now on hand were made by cutting down Krag rifles to 22 inches and fitting them with the Springfield front sight,” without mention of whether stocks were those of the Model 1899 carbine, or simply cut-down rifle stocks. He also does not mention where these arms were located, and thus where they would have shipped from. This latter description, without mention of stock type, continues until mid-1931 when the supply of Krags was completely exhausted and sales were discontinued.

Jim

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Good material on an interesting Krag Niche!

Too bad there is not a 'found repository' of Krag serial numbers, sold through the DCM to civilians.

waterman

Post by waterman »

My understanding of the purpose behind the Benecia carbines was to keep a skilled workforce employed. Post-WW1 War Dept budgets had been cut, but the professionals, especially the Navy, expected a war with Japan, probably in the Philippines. Benecia was the only west coast arsenal, and was on a direct supply route to the Philippines.

I have a Benecia carbine, everything but the paperwork. Is anyone selling forged copies?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Waterman, how do you know it is a "Benicia Carbine"?

Camel tracks on the stock? :shock:

waterman

Post by waterman »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:25 pm Waterman, how do you know it is a "Benicia Carbine"?

Camel tracks on the stock? :shock:
Source. Got it from a much older than me guy who remembered his father getting it "from the army" when he was just a kid. Got it in the late 1980s.

jrmartin1964

Post by jrmartin1964 »

waterman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:55 pm I have a Benecia carbine, everything but the paperwork.
Pictures??

Jim