Norwegian 1906 Krag Jorgenson Carbine. ( ID Help )

European Krags
Romad

Norwegian 1906 Krag Jorgenson Carbine. ( ID Help )

Post by Romad »

Well I saw this beautiful 1906 Norwegian Krag-Jorgenson rifle at the gun shop which "almost" looks new! I "assumed " it was a Springfield 30-40. In my enthusiasm when I got home, after careful eyeballing, it turned out to be Norwegian 6.5x55 carbine. Don't really know if it's a commercial or military rifle conversion as I can see where the cleaning rod hole was plugged. It's all matching numbers on everything. The mag cut-off was removed to facilitate a Redfield 102-K peep sight. I think "maybe" the stock was changed or cut off at some time. The stock was refinished, but not a very good job, and looks great just the same. The bluing is beautiful and no rust or pits. It has a double crown stamping by the serial number on the right side. The dealer thought it was just a 30-40 caliber U.S. Springfield even though there are no U.S. marking anywhere. The last U.S. Krag's was made in 1902, by my novice research, and they started with the 1903 Springfields. Might be a Bannerman Arms deal from the 50's. Come to think about the mag cut-off paddle I may have one buried in my parts bin from when I had a Springfield Krag about 15 years ago. I like the Redfield peep sight for now!

Gotta figure out how to reduce photo size image so I can post some pics
Attachments
20240207_072725 copy.jpg
20240207_072725 copy.jpg (82.61 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
20240207_072715 Medium.jpeg
20240207_072715 Medium.jpeg (48.89 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
Last edited by Romad on Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:02 am, edited 5 times in total.

Culpeper

Re: Norwegian 1906 Krag Jorgenson Carbine. ( ID Help )

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the greatest Krag forum this side of heaven and that other place, Romad. The smarter guys will be along shortly.

As for resizing, Open MSPaint, "save as" a new file name, then go to resize and resize in equal per cents on the vertical and the horizontal. Never work on your original photo. My camera takes 4 meg sized photos. I reduce them by fifty percent and save. I check the file size. If I need to tweak it I just do a couple of percent. File size needs to be under a meg and you are allowed five attachments per post.

Culpeper
Attachments
re-size.jpg
re-size.jpg (59.37 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
re-size reduced.jpg
re-size reduced.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Romad

Post by Romad »

Is it "acceptable" to reload with SP/BT bullets in my model 1904 / 1906 mfg rifle?

Bernt

Post by Bernt »

You can reload with any bullet you like. Just find the one that has the best precision in your rifle. I can see that you rear sight is calibrated for the 139 grain spitzer w / boattail that were adopted by the army in 1925. With the old 156 grain roundnose, the ramp were taller than the rear sight blade. In adittion you have a diopter sight. Untill 1st of january 2023, both Raufoss (Nammo) and Norma made Krag match ammo, with a 144 grain Sierra match king bullet. That ammo were sold through the Norwegian shooting association. But because of new EU rules, they can't sell subsidized ammo to the shooters anymore, because it's messing up the buisness of the ammo stores.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Norwegian for sure. The mag cut off is different from the US Krag and is used to hold the side plate on. More pictures will help in further ID

Romad

Post by Romad »

Further research I believe my Krag started life as a Engineer Carbine. If I could find a resonable priced stock I'd put it back as an Engineer's Carbine. In it's present condition, does anyone have any idea what mine might be worth in it's present condition? I probably paid too much but I really liked it.
Attachments
Rifle-Kongsberg-Krag-M1907-11036-1.jpg
Rifle-Kongsberg-Krag-M1907-11036-1.jpg (780.97 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

Bernt

Post by Bernt »

To find a replacement stock will be hard or even impossible. How's your woodworking skills? You can splice on new pieces of walnut. The contour of the missing parts are quite easy to form. Also the front barrel band can be made.

Romad

Post by Romad »

My woodworking skills not so good! I could measure 3 times, cut once and have to throw the results away! I guess it's just leave it alone and have a good time shooting it. As is it's a very attractive rifle and almost looks new for 118 years old with excellent bore! I would like to find the correct mag cut-off lever to keep it complete should I want to remove the peep sight.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Romad, there is a Norwegian magazine cut-off lever listed on Numrich Arms online site, priced around $44.
Attachments
norwegian cut-off lever.jpeg
norwegian cut-off lever.jpeg (65.72 KiB) Viewed 964 times

Romad

Post by Romad »

I just only now saw your reply about the cut-off lever. I never got a notification thru email. Thank you for your help! I'll check out the lever at Numrich.

Just checked Numrich and there are four types listed. Will it be necessary for me to remove my peep sight to investigate which one I need?