Serial number???

U.S. Military Krags
Sunshineboys

Re: Serial number???

Post by Sunshineboys »

I realize I get the knowledge of many great board members by posting here. I have purchased two Norwegian Krags over the last couple years. Both were cut down. But, I got good advise here and paid little for either of them. This one is as close to a genuine Krag as I have seen. The price is $1,300.00 in our Canadian dollars or probably $1,000.00 in US dollars. I will continue a dialogue with the seller. Thanks to all.
Dave

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Just wondering if there's another number we're not seeing under the peep sight. Things are not adding up???

Whig

Post by Whig »

77961 made around October 1897. Model 1896 Krag carbine. Upgraded with different stock and apparently a Model 1901 rear sight, hopefully carbine, with the neat humped hand guard. What's not to like? If this is as described and not some cut down thingy, I'd buy it if the price is right.

Bore condition and, again, rear sight being carbine are important. Many, if not most, have been updated at the Armory or in the field officially. Looks nice!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Not at all likely. The production run was four hundred and eighty thousand or there abouts. It would be seven hundred seventy-nine thousand if there was a hidden digit (77961x)
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

I think too much room as well between the last number and the peep sight for another number.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Yes I agree, the number range would be excessive as well as the space between the end of the serial number and a number possibly hidden under the peep sight.

Point being is I was just CURIOUS as to whether there's some clue under the peep sight. Speaking from experience, sometimes scope mounts or peep sights obscure serial numbers.

To me it's obvious that the serial number appears to be odd and incorrect. The 7s and 1 seem to be a different font compared to the 9 and 6.

IMHO: The Model 1896/98 and odd serial number stamps, make it another Springfield Armory anomaly...or an attempt by someone to deceive???

If there's one thing that I got out of Joe Farmers book is that the production of Krag firearms didn't always flow in a nice linear fashion...Sometimes the square peg does fit in the round hole.

Like Whig...I'd possibly buy it after further scrutiny and assistance from my KCA brothers, sisters, you, he, she, it, we, they, me, him, her, us and them.
Last edited by MooseNugget on Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

MooseNugget wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:16 am Point being is I was just CURIOUS as to whether there's some clue under the peep sight. Speaking from experience, sometimes scope mounts or peep sights obscure serial numbers.
Absolutely they can. A have a mint FN M1950 that is all Military except that someone mounted a vintage scope and mount on it probably in the mid 60's. The scope mount had to be removed to verify the Military crest/markings/date.
FNscope1.jpg
FNscope1.jpg (88.81 KiB) Viewed 694 times

FNscope2.jpg
FNscope2.jpg (100.63 KiB) Viewed 694 times

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Oh that is a beautiful rifle scottz63!!!

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

MooseNugget wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:39 am Oh that is a beautiful rifle scottz63!!!
Thank you Sir! I agree with you! LOL!! It's by far my most pristine Military surplus rifle, inside and out.

She's a shooter as well. This is a 5 shot sighting in group I did with her last year.
1950Range2.jpg
1950Range2.jpg (151.02 KiB) Viewed 676 times
FirstTargetFN1.jpg
FirstTargetFN1.jpg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 676 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That is a beautiful Belgian Army Mauser, in .30-06.

It is a shame the attractive Crest was blemished and is hidden by the scope job.

On the other hand, what a great range gun! She is a fine shooter.