Cast bullets in the Krag

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Cast bullets in the Krag

Post by Culpeper »

What cast bullets are you guys running in your .30 cal rifles? I'm still sitting on a few hundred pounds of linotype and figure I need to do something with it this year. I am looking for a bullet that can be used across multiple platforms and not just the Krag.

Any recommendations?

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

madsenshooter

Re: Cast bullets in the Krag

Post by madsenshooter »

The NOE version of 311284 works well. It casts a larger .302" bore riding nose than most of those that come from Lyman/Ideal molds which I've read can come out .299" or smaller depending on alloy, casting temp etc. The nose shape on the 311284 rides up the Krag feed ramp well also. One would think it was designed for the Krag, which it was. A checked and lubed example I have handy comes in at 203.6gr. With lino, full Krag velocity ought to be easy to obtain with slower burning powders. Mark Daiute likes his also and gets some good results. I was even getting acceptable 50yd accuracy with them when blowing out some 6.8 SPC brass for a fellow in my 30 Rem Model 14. The old pump was keeping them on a 4-5 inch coffee can lid I was using as a target. They were a single load proposition in that little experiment, however.

On the lighter and less expensive side, the Lee 312-155-2R works good in Krags and drops fat enough to size down a bit for regular 30 calibers. Should be a good one for multiple 30 caliber projects, including that 30 Rem brass you've got stashed away for another day.

waterman

Post by waterman »

If you read the old books, 311284 was designed for the Krag, back about 1900 (+/-).

King carp

Post by King carp »

I bought a N.O.E. mold that casts a 220gr. bullet based on the lyman mold made for the Krag rifle. I have not found a good load for it yet. I did load a bunch of 175gr. and 135gr. cast pills for the Krag. I will head to the range and see how my 1898 rifle likes them (hopefully better than the 220gr. ones).