Clean Sized Brass After Firing

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Olpeddler

Clean Sized Brass After Firing

Post by Olpeddler »

Last Fall, using Paul Steinmayer's .30-30 Krag neck sizing method ( screw in the F/L neck sizing die until it touches the shell holder, and then back it off one full turn) I neck sized 50 Hornady cases. A few days ago, I fired off 30 of those reloads and the results were nice: at 75 yards with 5 round strings, my 1899 Carbine produced five 3" groups. However, there was one "flyer" in each string, and the problem was me, not the rifle or the reload. These are the most consistent accuracy results I have achieved with this rifle. The reload recipe was 180 gr Hornady RN Interlock bullets, 41 grs of IMR 4895 powder, and COL's of 3.080". The rifle's rear sight is the 1901 Model, set at its lowest elevation. Conditions were nearly perfect with a 3-5 mph breeze and a temperature of 55 degrees F. Additionally, the brass was sparkling clean after firing with only a trace of powder stain on the neck of the fired cases.

Olpeddler

Re: Clean Sized Brass After Firing

Post by Olpeddler »

In my post of earlier today on using Mr. Steinmayer's method for neck sizing, I mistakenly referred to the caliber as .30-30 instead of .30-40 Krag. Sorry for the confusion.

waterman

Post by waterman »

Olpeddler wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:31 pm In my post of earlier today on using Mr. Steinmayer's method for neck sizing, I mistakenly referred to the caliber as .30-30 instead of .30-40 Krag. Sorry for the confusion.
You can edit the first post.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Olpeddler, glad that the method worked well for you. There are certainly other methods to neck-size... including dedicated "Neck-Sizing" dies... but backing the FL die out works well, and doesn't require spending any additional money!

Happy shooting!!!

trapdoor4570

Post by trapdoor4570 »

Yes, it is a good method for neck sizing, most of the time. As long as the chamber is not on the fat side. In that case it doesn’t work for me. I have a ’03 WW2 rebuild with a very fat chamber. In this case I have to use a neck size die, if the case was used for a full power load. Turning the die out a turn will case the shoulder to move forward, you can feel the extra resistance when chambering a round. Probably the same thing will happen on the 30/40.