Hornaday Interlock 220 grain bullet Sale

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Re: Hornaday Interlock 220 grain bullet Sale

Post by psteinmayer »

Since I shoot Hornady 220s in my Match load for my Krag... I'm always on the hunt for bullets!

FWIW, Hornady used to make a FMJ 220 gr RN bullet, and I was given a box of these around 15 years ago. They were hands-down the most accurate bullet I ever shot in my Krag! I wish Hornady would make these again... :(

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I was looking into FMJ 220 grain bullets a couple of years ago. The only place that I could find who made them was Woodleigh Bullets out of Australia. However they had a fire in late 2021 that burned down the factory.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Culpeper wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 pm I was looking into FMJ 220 grain bullets a couple of years ago. The only place that I could find who made them was Woodleigh Bullets out of Australia. However they had a fire in late 2021 that burned down the factory.
Found an old Midway USA page for the Woodleigh FMJ round point.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101057194?pid=752314
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

psteinmayer wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:23 am Since I shoot Hornady 220s in my Match load for my Krag... I'm always on the hunt for bullets!

FWIW, Hornady used to make a FMJ 220 gr RN bullet, and I was given a box of these around 15 years ago. They were hands-down the most accurate bullet I ever shot in my Krag! I wish Hornady would make these again... :(
I sent an email off to Woodleigh. First they have rebuilt and are back in business. Yeah. Next because of low demand they will not be making any more SKU 65, meaning 220 grain FMJ. Not yeah.

However I did ask what a limited run would look like and still put a profit in the buisness' pocket. I know how many sierra 220s went through last year. About a thousand. So I would need some where in the realm of four thousand to cover ten years of shooting. I know their bullets are not Sierra or Hornady prices.

It is my thought if they can come up with a minimum number for a run and is semi-palatable in cost we could get 'er done. It is also a thought that anyone wanting to get in on it would subscribe to a few conditions.

1. No weak kneed types. If the price is what it is then so be it. Take a deep breath.
2. The entire run has to be bought before the production starts
2a. Everyone who wants in will pay up front.
3. The run is shipped to one location and farmed out from there. (I'm still thinking on that one will work)
4. Refer to number 1.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Thinking no shot with Hornady or just that the run would be substantially more? I bet they still have all the tooling. They may even be able to make it on a smaller line. A lower piece price may gain you more interest and therefore more volume. I wasn’t interested in Woodleigh when they were available due to higher cost, can’t imagine the price will be any lower now. If I recall, it was over a $1 each years ago and might have been closer to a buck and a half. If Hornady could do it closer to $0.75 each, we may have something as other shooters might also hop on that train. Just my 2 cents

Mike

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Maybe if we all email them and ask about those they will make some. Spread the word around. I just did. :)

Mike4MSU, that old Midway link I posted above they were $1.84 per bullet! :shock:

waterman

Post by waterman »

If you look for FMJ 220-grain bullets, Woodleigh and others, called "solids" by the Brits and some of the guys headed for Africa, check them with a magnet. Steel jackets were in vogue for shooting big critters in Africa. Probably not good for our Krag barrels. I was in the bullet business back in 1988, working for a guy who hunted in Africa. I saw the steel-jacketed 220s loaded into big Magnum cases and also into '06 cases.

At the same time, I met one of the African-bound hunter's wives, an older woman in her 60s. A much better choice than a trophy wife. She was going along on the next hunt and intended to take her 2 Krag sporters, one in .30-40 and the other in .35 WCF. Her comment about the steel-jacketed 220s was "they'll go clean through an elephant sideways".

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

scottz63 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:10 pm Maybe if we all email them and ask about those they will make some. Spread the word around. I just did. :)

Mike4MSU, that old Midway link I posted above they were $1.84 per bullet! :shock:
Thanks, couldn’t remember. As stated, at nearly $2 each, it’s likely steel core and meant for big game. Hornady, I think, could still make bank at $0.75 or so. I’d be in for a few boxes at that price. But at nearly $2 each? No way!

It’s been a while, but my local reloading store had 175 pieces of 220gr FMJ for $30. $30!, that’s $0.17 each.

I’m in pretty good shape to wait and see what happens with these crazy prices. Primers are starting to settle down in price and availability, but no where near what they were pre pandemic. And powder? Glad to have it back, but prices are already crazy and my guy says there’s another increase coming down. Brass is the one thing I headed warnings and stocked up when prices were lower and available.
Last edited by Mike4MSU on Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

I know, that's crazy. You can get loaded factory ammo right now for $2.25 a round!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I looked into the Woodleigh bullets almost 10 years ago... and the price was so high it curled my toes! I never really considered those a viable option. Maybe if I was hunting buffalo with 1/2 mile range shots... and my first shot needed to be the kill shot... THEN I could have justified the cost. I'll stick to the Hornady 220 gr RN interloc bullets that work well for me!