Factory loaded ammunition

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
larrys

Factory loaded ammunition

Post by larrys »

I was in a rather large gun store (for here in CT) yesterday and I spied Remington 30-40 Krag ammunition with 180gr round nose CoreLokt bullets on the shelf. Ten boxes. I stop by there once a month or so and hadn't seen it before. $57.99/box. :roll: New ammo run, looks like.
Larry

scottz63

Re: Factory loaded ammunition

Post by scottz63 »

Yup. There is a big run of factory loaded ammo out in the wild right now by Hornady and Remington.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

larrys wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:20 pm I was in a rather large gun store (for here in CT) yesterday and I spied Remington 30-40 Krag ammunition with 180gr round nose CoreLokt bullets on the shelf. Ten boxes. I stop by there once a month or so and hadn't seen it before. $57.99/box. :roll: New ammo run, looks like.
Larry
And all of my buddies down in DC at the time thought I was nuts and needed to be committed when I bought a hundred boxes of Krag ammo back in 2005. I believe their words were "All you need is a couple of boxes and get some dies and powder and start reloading" or "You'll never shoot it all in this lifetime it'll just go to waste". There were a couple of the guys who thought it was way over the top but they said they would do the same if wasn't for the wife, kids, mortgage and so on. I kept telling them it ain't gonna get any cheaper.

Now I wish I had been buying primers and powder too.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

I have a ton of primers and plenty of powder and bullets. Just missing 30-40 brass. Lol
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Fortunately, I have tons of Brass... and I've been working through the same few hundred rounds worth in rotation for many years now (neck sizing and annealling is your ticket to Krag brass longevity, my friends). Its bullets that have me weak in the knees...

FWIW, if I see any CCI #34s at Perry this year, I'm scooping up as many as they'll let me carry! I'm down to my last brick now :(

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

During the "Insurrection" in the Philippines, it was found that some Filipino combatants 'reloaded' the spent primers, in .43 Spanish brass.
They removed the primer cup and filled it with shaved match-head material.
I don't know if they bothered removing the 'dent' before filling and replacing the primer.

This could not have been conducive to good accuracy, but, it did ignite the 'homemade' black powder!

Resourceful people, those 'Amigos'.

waterman

Post by waterman »

Culpepper, how much did you pay for a box back in 2005? That would be a good example of a "utilitarian commodity" holding a steady value while our "money" aka "exchange certificates" is continuously devalued.

waterman

Post by waterman »

butlersrangers wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:59 pm During the "Insurrection" in the Philippines, it was found that some Filipino combatants 'reloaded' the spent primers, in .43 Spanish brass.
I don't know if they bothered removing the 'dent' before filling and replacing the primer.

This could not have been conducive to good accuracy, but, it did ignite the 'homemade' black powder!

Rather a different Insurrection than the First Amendment protest in 2021. We couldn't do that today. Our matches have been devalued.

I first learned about that in a high school English Class in 1955. The teacher (Graham Burnside, remember him?) was trying to get us kids to learn to write about things that interested us, and maybe to think while we were at it. None of the townspeople thought GB was alarming for exposing the kids to such dangerous ideas, but GB's wife was a vegetarian. That was pretty extreme, the subject of constant gossip.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

waterman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:26 pm Culpepper, how much did you pay for a box back in 2005? That would be a good example of a "utilitarian commodity" holding a steady value while our "money" aka "exchange certificates" is continuously devalued.
I'm not shy to admit it. $14.91 (in yankee federal reserve notes) a box for all which includes the shipping and stuff. Thar's moola in that thar brass. Yellow gold. I gotta pee.. Ya'll come back now. Ya hear.

I recall Sportsman Guide saying back order was okie-dokie. So I ordered a hundred boxes in early December 2005. I was making war money at the time. About every other month they were asking if I wanted to keep it on order. Of course the answer is and will always be hell yeah. It showed up around June 2006.

And that is the story of how I saved the planet from destruction.

And! I've been Mr. Nice Guy in the recent past but that is over. I am not letting any of this stuff go for less than fifty bucks or the prevailing rate when the current production run is history.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

butlersrangers wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:59 pm During the "Insurrection" in the Philippines, it was found that some Filipino combatants 'reloaded' the spent primers, in .43 Spanish brass.

I can remember back in grade school making "Matchstick Rockets." We would fashion a paper clip to hold a match upright, Then, wrap a match head in foil (usually from chewing gum) and using a pin, create a nozzle at the bottom. Then, when lit, they would shoot up into the air to the delight of the teacher who rewarded us with a trip to the principle for a rousing rendition of the "I'm going to call your mother" blues! We also used "Strike Anywhere" matches in makeshift smoke/stink bombs that we made with out of a retractible ball-point pen and a bobby pin!

Ahhhhh... those wonderful school day memories!!!