Front sight height?

U.S. Military Krags
scottz63

Front sight height?

Post by scottz63 »

How tall is the Krag rifle sight from the bottom of the base/top of the barrel to the highest point on the blade? Mine 1898 has an aftermarket sight on the front and I would like to know how close it is. Thanks.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

butlersrangers

Re: Front sight height?

Post by butlersrangers »

'Scottz63' - I was hoping someone would answer your question.
Currently, I am not home and in a position to measure some Krag rifles and carbines and provide the measurement the way you have requested.

It might help others, to better help you, if a photo of your Krag aftermarket front-sight and your barrel length were provided.

Original Krag front-sight heights were different for 22", 26", and 30 inch barrels.
The front-sight height is also dependent on the rear-sight model being used.

FWIW - Back in the day, the Ordnance Department apparently measured front-sight height by using the 'height above the bore' (center-line).
This is a rather awkward way to measure without a special gauge or fixture. It probably was first arrived at, through mathematical calculations.

Frank Mallory, in the "KRS" book (2nd edition, page 134), gave the dimensions in the attached table, using the bore as a reference point.
(Note - I am very skeptical and confused by his "1898 carbine" front-sight dimensions, apparently used with the carbine version of Dickson's 1898 3-notch rear-sight).

An 1898 carbine, 'wearing' an 1896 carbine rear-sight, has the same front-sight height as a model 1896 carbine.
Attachments
Mallory sights-edit.JPG
Mallory sights-edit.JPG (856.81 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Mallory blades.JPG
Mallory blades.JPG (719.08 KiB) Viewed 689 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

Scott,

I was out of town and just got home and snapped a couple pictures. I also found a few from my archives to post.

The two top pictures show what you asked for, I believe. One is a short blade and one is a longer blade. The angle of the picture may seem like the mic is not lined up on the barrel or top of the blade properly but it is. Hope some of these help. The chart shown in the previous post is showing measurements from the center of the bore, not the top of the barrel. You could estimate the comparison to the chart measurements above by measuring the diameter of your barrel at the mid-point of the base of the front sight, divide by two, and add that to what I have shown. That should approximate the measurement from the middle of the bore.

But, as Butlersrangers said, it depends on the rear sight as to which front sight blade is correct for the elevation needed for your specific rear sight mounted. I pulled two Model 1898 rifles off my rack and took these pictures. Two different front sight blades because of different rear sights. Pictures of your set up might help. Carbine front sight blades are different because of the different calibration of their rear sights based on ballistics of the .30-40 Krag round through a shorter barrel. Use these measurements as estimates for comparisons because wear is different on these old rifles and some may have been altered, filed down or otherwise not as original. I didn't check any other ones from these two. It would be a great idea to compile a list of numerous front sight blade measurements to see what kind of range there would be for the various sight heights. If I get a few hours of spare time (Ha! Ha!- we have 4 new grand kids!!) I might start such a list. Good luck!
Attachments
DSCN9727.JPG
DSCN9727.JPG (635.38 KiB) Viewed 656 times
DSCN9726.JPG
DSCN9726.JPG (593.85 KiB) Viewed 656 times
front sight 5.jpg
front sight 5.jpg (525.37 KiB) Viewed 666 times
front sight2.jpg
front sight2.jpg (562.95 KiB) Viewed 666 times
DSCN9595.JPG
DSCN9595.JPG (375.42 KiB) Viewed 666 times

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Thanks guys! Just what I was asking. I was wondering how tall a complete front sight and blade were for an 1898 rifle. Perfect.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

My front sight.
FrontSight1.jpg
FrontSight1.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 587 times
FrontSight2.jpg
FrontSight2.jpg (69.86 KiB) Viewed 587 times
My rear sight is a 1902 version.
Sight4.jpg
Sight4.jpg (70.3 KiB) Viewed 587 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Out of curiosity, what is the height of your current front-sight combination and where does it group on target at 50 & 100 yards?

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

butlersrangers wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:46 am Out of curiosity, what is the height of your current front-sight combination and where does it group on target at 50 & 100 yards?
Well, sad news on both of those questions. My battery has died on my digital calipers and I can't find my mechanical set. I also have not fired my Krag as of yet. :o

I will get the front sight measured tomorrow and let you know that at least.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

So, my front sight height is .630 from the top of the barrel to the top of the sight. Looks to be in the range and not way out.