img

madsenshooter

Re: and this is why i reload

Post by madsenshooter »

@ nigh $50/box, they can keep them!

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

The link takes me to a page that has been removed.

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

https://www.venturamunitions.com/categories/rifle/30-40-krag.html

prices for krag ammo:
Ventura Heritage 30-40 Krag 220gr RN New Ammo - 20 Rounds $46.38

Ventura Heritage 30-40 Krag 180gr SP Ammo - 20 Rounds $45.83

Remington 30-40 KRAG 180gr Express Core-Lokt PSP Ammo - 20 Rounds $42.52

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

My guess is that they are marking up the Remington as a handling charge. The 220 gr rounds appear to be using Hornady bullets... and I'm guessing Remington brass. The 180 gr also appear to be using Hornady bullets. I'd hazard a guess that they are pricing based on their cost of brass and bullets!

I can reload for pennies as compared to this ammo... but I'm sure there are shooters out there who don't reload, and would just assume buy loaded ammo, regardless of the cost!

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

Checked the Ammoseek web site and there is a lot of 30/40 listed. Prices ranged from just over $30 a box and up. These guys were the highest listed prices.

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

i feel sorry for the factory loads guys. i still have 30-40 cases that date back to '50-60's. i still load them up.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

You may have paid for your brass as loaded ammo way back when unless you got it as a bag of unprimed brass. Nothing is diiferent for the new guys. They pay the going rate for their initial feed stock the same as you did then and I did twelve years ago. The only difference is the inflation of the money supply causing perceived higher prices. At some point, the decision will be made by them to reload or continue to pay up.

I preach the gospel of Saving Brass by <fill in the blank with your favorite reloader> to every Krag shooter. Heck, I tell everyone to save their brass even if they are not reloading at the moment because they might at some time in the future.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe »

I want to start to learn how to reload 30-40. I have an RCBS progressive loader. What advice do you for people like me just starting out? I have been saving my brass and have 120 cases to start with.

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

No offense intended, but I do not recommend progressive presses for beginners. It's much easier to keep track of things when one has only a single station/operation to watch. That, and for rifle cartridges such as the Krag, speed and quantity aren't factors.

All that said, read, several times, the sections in your reloading manuals on the process. I kept a copy of the Lyman manual in the reading...err, bathroom, for a couple of months before I touched my first case.

I can't think of any 'traps' awaiting you specific to the Krag. It is very much like other bottle neck cartridges. You'll need to lube the cases for sizing (neck sizing is preferred for a single rifle) and I strongly recommend a Lyman M-Die for loading cast bullets.

A friend close by who knows his way around loading can be very useful. Ask here if you run into specific issues. I, and I'm sure many others, will be glad to help.

Good luck, have fun and report back.