and this is why i reload

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Re: and this is why i reload

Post by butlersrangers »

I partially agree with 'Hoot'. I like doing one operation on my batch of cartridge cases at a time (and then changing to the next operation).

If you can deactivate your press from advancing or progressing, you have an advantage.

You can set-up and preserve the adjustment on each of your Dies on the removable 'Die Plate'.

You then can manually rotate and index the plate to a specific station or Die. Since nothing is advancing, you can perform just one operation on all your cases, as if, it was a single stage press.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I tell everyone to save their brass even if they are not reloading at the moment because they might at some time in the future.

I've been saying the same thing to people shooting Krags for years. Anytime someone gets their first Krag... I stress "Save Your Brass!" with any other advice.

As far as people new to reloading, although you CAN start with a progressive... but if you've never loaded rifle brass, I agree that a single stage press is far easier to learn with. I also think that someone starting out need not buy the most expensive equipment out there!!! I've been reloading for more than 30 years with a beat up old LEE Challenger press, and I do just fine and dandy... and I load several rifle and several pistol calibers with it too! LEE Pacesetter dies are inexpensive, and work just as well as RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, Dillon, and other brands that will cost up to twice as much as the LEE... or more.

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe »

Thanks guys. I should have started out by saying my RCBS is only set up for 45 cal. I have never reloaded for a riffle caliber.
What is the first book you recommend buying. I looked at reloading books and there is a lot of information out there.

I guess the next question is what dies to buy. I have had people that reload 5.56 tell me to stay away from Lee products. I don't want to start a brand name flame war just looking for a general consensus.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Lee Dies work fine for most of us. The .30-40 cartridge is not finicky and is easy to reload. (FWIW - I have RCBS and Lee .30-40 Dies).

BTW - Many of us back off the Die one turn in the Press so that we are just 'Neck Sizing' part of the very long case neck.

(Hint - Keep your Brass separated by the Krag it was fired in).

Todd Doyka

Post by Todd Doyka »

i used to have a lyman t-mag turret press but i've got a lee classic cast press ( https://leeprecision.com/classic-cast-press.html ). i've had the t-mag press for about 25 years or so, but i like the lee single stage more.

30-40 krag dies are in lee. but i have many that are rcbs, redding, hornady ... :D dies. if you do cast boolits, use a lyman m die.

also use a hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser ( https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/818489/hornady-lock-n- ) you will luv it.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

As for manuals, I have several editions of Hornady, as well as the Lyman 49th edition, and LEE and Nosler loading data. If you're loading cast, Lyman has great data for cast bullet loads. But when loading standard jacketed bullets, the Hornady 9th and 10th editions are my BIBLE!!!

By the way... as for your 5.56 guys, there are a lot of people out there who will tell you that if you're not using Dillon (only the most expensive stuff), you're wasting your time. To that I say, listening to someone tout Dillon... or any brand for that matter... would be "Wasting My Time!" I only make suggestions for using LEE because it's inexpensive for beginners. I mostly have LEE because I'm not rich, but I do also have Hornady and RCBS dies and equipment, and they all work great! The bottom line is: Buy/use what YOU are comfortable using!!!

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

+1 on Paul's advise
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

By the way... as for your 5.56 guys, there are a lot of people out there who will tell you that if you're not using Dillon (only the most expensive stuff), you're wasting your time. To that I say, listening to someone tout Dillon... or any brand for that matter... would be "Wasting My Time!" I only make suggestions for using LEE because it's inexpensive for beginners. I mostly have LEE because I'm not rich, but I do also have Hornady and RCBS dies and equipment, and they all work great! The bottom line is: Buy/use what YOU are comfortable using!!!

And if you are comfortable hefting a seventy pound single stage press then get a CSP-2 to reload your krag brass. I use the included adapter for my RCBS dies.

http://corbins.com/pr-csp2.htm

Of course, some days I get a real work out with my reloading time. :o
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

You do not need fancy stuff & may be able to do OK at the right estate sale. I still use the Herter's press (really a Pacific) that I bought the year after I got out of high school (1959). I switched to RCBS dies because the Herter's were lemons. I bought the $12 shell holder adapter from RCBS. I still use the same scale I bought back then, although I have an electronic job. I have an old B&M powder measure from the 30s. It works better than the new ones. I decap & prime with an old Lyman tong tool.

One at a time, one step at a time, and look at the powder level in every case before the bullet goes in. Good loading blocks are an investment. You are loading for an old rifle using one of the best cartridges ever made for handloading. Nothing fancy and never, ever go for the hottest loads.

Old loading books & manuals will tell you more about Krag loads than newer manuals.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

AMEN!!! You said it brother!