What to do now?

European Krags
Sunshineboys

What to do now?

Post by Sunshineboys »

I have a carbine and a rifle, both in 6.5x55. I had loaded six with 32 grains of 4350 with a 140 grain Hornady Match bullets. I fired three shots from each from a bench at 50 yards. The carbine put three in a 1/3” group with two touching. The rifle shot three into about 4”. I suspect the rifle has a barrel which is shot out. This rifle is in nice condition externally and functions just fine but shoots groups at fifty the size of a cantalope. My question….sell the rifle or consider replacing the barrel? I expect that replacing the barrel would cost more than I paid for the rifle? Thoughts?

butlersrangers

Re: What to do now?

Post by butlersrangers »

I recommend keeping both Norwegian Krags.

Three rounds is hardly a test of a rifle or load's accuracy.
Maybe, the rifle just doesn't 'like' the IMR-4350 load or the 140 grain match bullet!

The 'long rifle' should be disassembled and checked for pressure points, binding, and warpage of the stock and handguards.
Such things have an effect on barrel harmonics.
The barrel and action should sit solidly in the stock, without wobble, rocking, or side pressure.

The front guard-screw and barrel-screw should probably be 'tight'. The rear guard-screw should just be snug, so that it does not torque the action or lever the barrel upward.

The muzzle-crown should be checked for blemishes and damage.

IMO - A 'shot-out' 6.5 mm barrel will likely have some bullets 'keyholing' from failure to stabilize.

Ten round groups give a better diagnostic picture of rifle and ammunition performance.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

BR, thanks for the reply. All good points. The rifle had been all checked out. I had also tried some cast bullet loads in both and they acted exactly the same way. Small group for the carbine and a large group for the rifle. I really think that the barrel/bore is the problem. Are barrels being made for these? Dave

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A barrel for a Norwegian Krag would likely be a custom proposition. Norwegian Krag barrels use a left-hand thread.

waterman

Post by waterman »

I don't know where you are, but a new barrel or a replacement barrel would seem a long shot. Is it even possible to put a liner in an old military barrel?

Have you slugged the barrel? That's the cheapest way to get a "feel" for the problem. Maybe there is a tight spot in the middle, or a loose spot. Maybe the bore diameter is greater at the muzzle than at the breech.

Have you looked down the barrel with a borescope? It won't cure anything, but it will tell you something about the problem.

Have you tried to give the afflicted barrel a cleaning via electrolysis? I've done that with 3 old military rifles (8 mm Kropatschek, 6.5 mm Jap, and 8 mm Siamese) that all shot better afterwards.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

I have not slugged the bore but will do that soon. The bore appears to have lots of rifling but there is some darkness in the grooves. I will report back. Dave

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

After you slug the bore, there are some .268 diameter 6.5 bullets that are sometimes available. They may tighten the groups of your rifle. Made for Carcano rifles by Hornady I believe. I see PRVI makes a .268" 139gr FMJBT also, in stock at Graf's now. I use #2 buckshot to slug 6.5 bores.