Parkhurst carbine

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: Parkhurst carbine

Post by Dick Hosmer »

King carp wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:41 pm Would it be possible to alter a 762x54 moisin nagant stripper clip to use the 30-40 round? The difference between the two cartridge's rim diameter is 0.025. For display or to see how it functions. It would be a bit cheaper.
Cheaper, yes - and definitely better for using, considering that elaborately-shaped and probably fragile spring. But, IMHO, having the 'ensemble' would be worth it - each raises the value of the other. BIG difference at show-and-tell between saying "they took a special clip [which I can't show you]" and "here is the special clip which made it all work." Not MY $150 of course, but I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. :lol: :lol:

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I agree with Richard H., a Parkhurst "clip" would be a major part of the story.

It might be worth a call to David B. Stewart, (Granpa's Gun Parts), to see if Joe DeChristopher left a Parkhurst - Clip or two, laying around!

Maybe an 'enginerd-type' can produce some clips, with a 3D - Printer? .... then Tom could leave plastic ones, strewn on the ground, at Camp Perry.

If ya got one .... flaunt it!
Attachments
Parkhurst patent.jpeg
Parkhurst patent.jpeg (306.08 KiB) Viewed 380 times

03collector

Post by 03collector »

I just looked at the pictures of this interesting carbine. FYI, the serial number of your carbine falls in line with two other Parkhurst carbines I know of. The first was the Parkhurst carbine that was in my friend Bill Rutter's collection that sold 2 years ago. That carbine's serial number, 288,286 is very close to yours. Bill told me when he purchased the firearm he acquired it from a collector/dealer, a man by the name of Mel Helminski. He purchased it in Eagle River, WI (northern portion of the state). An old man came into the show and said it was his deer rifle but he needed to trade it for something that had a scope. The rifle had a Pacific peep sight installed where the selector switch was, and for decades this was his primary deer hunting rifle. Mel took one look and noticed it had the Parkhurst clip device attached to the magazine. He bought it and then sold it to Bill. Judging by the condition of your carbine, it sure looks to me like it could have spent decades at some old deer camp. I can't imagine a better deer rifle back in the 20's and 30's than a 22" barrelled Krag carbine. Yours being threaded for the Maxim silencer is amazing.

The other Parkhurst Krag carbine was in the Johnathan Peck collection - the serial number of that carbine is 288,780.

In the last several posts, the topic has been the Parkhurst clip, used with that carbine and/or rifle. I thought I would post some pictures of the Parkhurst clip in my collection, which I got from Bill Rutter.

Great find!
20240503_075147x.jpg
20240503_075147x.jpg (955.6 KiB) Viewed 363 times
20240503_081202x.jpg
20240503_081202x.jpg (877.76 KiB) Viewed 363 times
20240503_075323x.jpg
20240503_075323x.jpg (512.57 KiB) Viewed 363 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'03collector' - Thanks for posting your interesting recollections on a couple of known Parkhurst Krags and the wonderful pictures of your Parkhurst 'clip'.

It appears, Mr. Parkhurst designed his 'device', so it would compress the lower 'arched spring' built into the 'clip', thus levering-up and unlocking the 'tab' that was retaining the cartridges in the clip.
This probably worked very well and was likely superior in some ways to other successful 'charger' systems.

I took the liberty of copying one of your photos, it neatly shows how cartridge case-necks can split, after being held under tension, for 100 years or so.
Attachments
03Collector-edit.jpg
03Collector-edit.jpg (782.8 KiB) Viewed 360 times

03collector

Post by 03collector »

I also believe the cost of these clips were very expensive at the time. Parkhurst also developed the clip for the 1895 Winchester Lee Navy rifle if im correct.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

03collector, that's awesome you have a clip for it! Thanks for posting!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

waterman

Post by waterman »

Could an easily-found charger for a Lee-Enfield work? Or could one be modified?

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Thanks for the heads up on S&S, Blueheeler!! I was surprised that they listed the clip as original. I went for it. Can't wait for it to arrive.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Tom Butts wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 10:21 am Thanks for the heads up on S&S, Blueheeler!! I was surprised that they listed the clip as original. I went for it. Can't wait for it to arrive.
You actually bought an original clip like this? Wow!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Studying Parkhurst's patent drawings and a clear internet photo of the 'clip-guide', I see that I was a bit confused about how the 'clip' works.

The Parkhurst guide has a pair of inner flanges, that are thin at the top and increase in thickness.

When the clip is inserted into the Parkhurst 'guide', these flanges fit between the rear of the clip body and the tabs on the 'spring' part of the clip.

As the clip is fully inserted, the spring is lifted, so that the 'hook' on the end of the spring no longer restricts the cartridges from being slid out of the clip.

(Like most 'stipper' clips, aka 'chargers', these devices were actually intended for "One Use").
Attachments
park-3.jpeg
park-3.jpeg (791.25 KiB) Viewed 224 times
park-1.jpeg
park-1.jpeg (369.23 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon May 06, 2024 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.