Parkhurst carbine

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Parkhurst carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

Tom - The tape looks like it was a 'gun collection' inventory/ID number, for a civilian owner, private company, or small museum.
I never suspected it was just a piece of tape.

(Now, I have a strong urge to shoot a suppressed Krag. Curse You!)

You do have quite the moral dilemma: Leave everything just as it is - or - Skilfully clean the wood and metal for best collector presentation?

No need to rush.

My opinion, FWIW - (I would document the carbine's current condition, as you have, with good photos.
I would try using mineral spirits to clean the wood surface and hopefully remove the 'alligatored' shellac or varnish, from the surface of the stock and handguard.
This would also sacrifice the piece of tape of interesting but unknown significance.
The wood appears to be Italian walnut and it would be valid to let it appear more, with the issued, clean & linseed oil military finish.

The metal I would oil and burnished to a pleasant patina to stabilize and better preserve it).

There are certainly other opinions, just as valid as mine.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Heck, I like the crackled patina and wouldn't dare change it. That's history there! This isn't a beauty contest.

Whig

Post by Whig »

With a little color manipulation, it could also be #29 on the tape.
Attachments
rack #.jpeg
rack #.jpeg (203.34 KiB) Viewed 350 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Historic guns often pose a dilemma. This one is an interesting GEM!

Tom's Parkhurst carbine is a wonderful enigma and time capsule, but at some point of time, a very harsh and poorly executed 'refinish' was done to the stock.

I regard this as a serious and distracting 'blemish' and obviously prefer a more benign and historically correct wood appearance.
I also accept other viewpoints.

I am glad this rare and historic piece is in Tom Butt's custody. He will practice due diligence.
Attachments
toms krag.jpg
toms krag.jpg (384.98 KiB) Viewed 343 times

waterman

Post by waterman »

You have the Parkhurst, something I thought only existed in museums. Now where do you get a couple of clips? Then take it for a test run and report the results.

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Here is a good article on the Parkhurst device that I found trying to learn about it myself.

https://www.historicalfirearms.info/pos ... 892-the-us
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Tom Butts
Site Admin

Post by Tom Butts »

Waterman, yes, I would love to stumble upon a clip or two now. I am afraid I can't hope to be that lucky! I was lucky enough to find the carbine!!! :-)

Scott, thanks for the link.

As for the finish and what I plan to do. I go back and forth on this issue. For right now, at least, I plan to leave it just the way it is. I hope to be able to find out more about the threading on the barrel and any information about the carbine itself.

Blueheeler

Post by Blueheeler »

S and S shows the clip for sale on their site.

[https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=K574]

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Blueheeler wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:28 pm S and S shows the clip for sale on their site.

[https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=K574]
That was where I first heard of the device, back in the 70s. Was going to get one, never did. I'd jump on that one! Never know when you'll see another.

As to the finish, I'd probably do a GENTLE cleanup. That tape would annoy the heck out of me, but you know that if you remove it, there will be a "patina splotch' no matter what.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Would it be possible to alter a 762x54 moisin nagant stripper clip to use the 30-40 round? The difference between the two cartridge's rim diameter is 0.025. For display or to see how it functions. It would be a bit cheaper.