Any Recent Experience With Criterion Krag Rifle and Carbine Barrels?

U.S. Military Krags
Stretch32

Any Recent Experience With Criterion Krag Rifle and Carbine Barrels?

Post by Stretch32 »

I'm restoring an 1899 Krag carbine and have put on an original cut down Krag rifle barrel but I'm looking for a better option. The barrel I have was dovetailed for a different front sight base which was cut a bit too large / deep / offset for the replacement sight base I purchased from S&S. My friend did a pretty nice job blending the new sight base in (with some extra material) to the enlarged dovetail but its still noticeable and I'd like something that looks more original. I'd really like to find an original Krag carbine barrel but, in the absence of that, I was looking at potentially buying a Criterion carbine barrel and purchasing another S&S reproduction sight base.

My question is, are the Criterion Krag carbine barrels external dimensions slightly oversized near the chamber? I built a sporter rifle for my sister and used a Criterion carbine barrel and was unable to get an original or reproduction hand guard to fit correctly over the contour of the barrel. After some reading, it appears many other people had the same problem in the past and I'm not interested in modifying original hand guards and stocks to fit a reproduction barrel.

If anyone has purchased a barrel in the last year or so and installed it, did it fit as per an original or did you have to modify the stock / hand guard or turn the barrel down a bit to make it all fit?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Stretch

King carp

Re: Any Recent Experience With Criterion Krag Rifle and Carbine Barrels?

Post by King carp »

I do not know about the Krag barrel, but i had a criterion M-1 garand barrel put on a M-1. My gunsmith said it was a correct fit and i think it shoots great. i would guess that the Krag barrel might have a different thread pitch for the rear sight.

psteinmayer

Re: Any Recent Experience With Criterion Krag Rifle and Carbine Barrels?

Post by psteinmayer »

Hi Greg...

I know of a few that have had Criterion barrels installed on their Krags (sorry, names escape me at the moment). I believe that fit and finish are excellent with the sole complaint being that the rear sight holes were drilled and tapped with different threads than the original. I do know that they come "In The White" and have the dovetail already machined. I thought about having one installed on my sporter and returning it to a "As Issued" condition so I could use it in matches... but the stock and stock components would be a problem for me.