Krag ammunition and Head spaces

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Robert

Krag ammunition and Head spaces

Post by Robert »

I inherited a Krag from my grandfather and would love to shoot the gun. While looking for ammunition I found that I needed to know the headspacing .60 or .70. How would I determine this? I am afraid if I take it to a local gunsmith he will have no idea about this gun.

Culpeper

Re: Krag ammunition and Head spaces

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

The smarter more eloquent guys will be along in a bit. The 30-40 head spaces on the rim and not the shoulder. Personally I would not sweat the headspace if your grandpa used it to good effect and if it is in good mechanical condition. Do you have any fired ammo with the gun? That will tell much about the chamber. Barring that, clean the rifle up and put a round through it and see what you got. Then post a pic here of the spent round.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Robert

Post by Robert »

It had no ammo with it. I am not sure what rounds it uses. I was under the impression that is used 8-58R rounds not the 30-40 but I do not actually know or know exactly how to tell. I have been doing some reading but I am still don't know much.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Can you post a photo or 2 of the rifle?

Robert

Post by Robert »

Here are some pics. ImageImageImageImageImage

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Alllllllllrighty.

First, until you post pictures, what does it read on the left side of the receiver? All military guns as originally made have only one round chambered for it. In US Krags it has only been the .30-40 round. However some of these have been rebarreled in different cartridges. Possibly Danger City depending who did it.

So please post photos. We are here to assist you in learning and shooting the Krag.

ADDED: Looks like our posts crossed in the ether.

You have a European Krag. Lucky guy! The smarter guys will be along shortly.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Robert - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

You have a Model 1889 Danish Krag Infantry Rifle and it is in the 8 mm (rimmed) Danish caliber.

If the numbers on your bolt match the serial number on your receiver, I would not worry about head-space.

I will let others tell you about the cartridge and reloading. The Danes were the first country to adopt the Krag. The rifles were beautifully made and quite collectable.ImageImageImage

Robert

Post by Robert »

When looking to buy ammo for it it mentioned ammo by the head space. Why would you not worry about the head space? The ammo was listed at .60 and .70 and they made it sound like I needed the know which one to use.

Plus any info that anyone can give me on the year of the gun or anything. Even the value. I won't be selling it but that info is always nice to know.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Is this what prompted your initial question?

https://www.buffaloarms.com/8x58r-danish-krag-ammo-190-grain-for-rifles-with-060-head-space-box-of-20-amo858rl

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8%C3%9758mmR_Danish_Krag

Robert

Post by Robert »

Yes that is what prompted my original question.