Krag ammunition and Head spaces

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Re: Krag ammunition and Head spaces

Post by butlersrangers »

I believe Danish Model 1889 Army Rifle, #78,041, was built in 1911. (It was likely built at Haerrens Tojhus - Army Arsenal - "HT with crown").

WAG on value would be $800, if parts match, with '041' on bolt and small parts.

I will let others comment on 8X58mmR Danish Krag cartridge and Buffalo Arms 'warning' and loads.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I found this sticky over on Gunboards' Krag rifles of Norway, Denmark & U.S.A. forum.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?16659-8X58R-Danish-M89-Ammo-Question

And this is one of the links in it.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/GB8x58RD.html

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks for the links. The first link has lots of info that is back and forth on information. I did see a comment that no one disputed that after 1902 they were made for the .70. But does anyone have any comments about the buffalo arms. That post was 10 years old and most comments weren't good.

FredC

Post by FredC »

It is funny that the Wikipedia article shows .063 as the rim thickness and no mention of a change in 1905 as indicated on that forum. My inclination is the softer steel of the old Krags sets back the lugs and the headspace changes over the decades. I have seen it in the 2 US Krags in my family. I would expect the same in a Danish Krag as the better steels did not come on the scene till later.
If Buffalo arms will still sell you a box of .070 thick cases on trial do that. They will either chamber easily or not. If they almost chamber or chamber with difficulty trade for the .060 thick rims. Forcing the bolt to close on oversize rims would not be good for the long term health of the action.
One could check the free play in the bolt with it closed and the firing pin removed with a dial indicator. .001 is the least I would want to see the thickest rim you can find, up to .010 play in the bolt would be acceptable.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Somewhere along the line of links, someone mentioned that Buffalo Arms would sell individual (or a few) unfired empty cases for the 8x58R Danish. I know that they do sell samples of empty, unprimed cases because I have purchased them in another caliber. So buy a few of each .060 and .070 and see which fits best.

Once you learn the answer, please share it with us.

Robert

Post by Robert »

I ordered a few samples casings from each size today and once I receive them I will post what I found. Thanks for all of the help!!!!

Robert

Post by Robert »

Got my casings in today. What should I be looking for? They both chamber easily.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

If the thicker goes, that's the one I'd use.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Just curious. Do the rims appear to be visibly thicker on the .070 cases? Can you measure the difference?

Robert

Post by Robert »

I don't have something to measure them with but they visually look different.