Anybody Got Any Trapdoor Loads To Share?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Stretch32

Re: Anybody Got Any Trapdoor Loads To Share?

Post by Stretch32 »

The book was helpful to me. I will also say, much like Krags, they're all a bit different and each may prefer a different load. There are guys who shoot smokeless loads with good accuracy but I have had my best results shooting FFg black powder. I actually started replicating original loads per the book and then modified it slightly with less powder and a wad to get to my current load. I also played around with compression and crimps which seem to have a significant impact on these rifles. I use a compression and flaring die from "Track the Wolf" as well which are handy tools.

Stretch

bote

Post by bote »

I was really hoping to avoid black powder as my only experience has been with repro revolvers and it seemed I had to disassemble them to really clean them. If I didn't there would soon be rust. I also ordered the Poyer book on trapdoors which supposedly contains cleaning info. Is there severe recoil with 500grain loads?

Stretch32

Post by Stretch32 »

Bote,

I think the recoil is pretty mild actually. No more than my SMLE or 1903. BP is more of a push than a kick I think and generates significantly less pressure than smokeless.

You can load smokeless loads but I had no luck with it and hard cast bullets. There are guys who do well well with them so if that's your preference then I'd start looking for some in reloading manuals or online. Just make sure the loads are for Trapdoor Springfield rifles and not Marlin or similar rifles that shoot 45-70. A Trapdoor cant handle the pressures that a lot of later or more modern rifles can handle.

I enjoy BP and don't think it's hard to clean especially in a Trapdoor. I enjoy BP so much I just bought a Martini Henry to shoot.

Stretch

bote

Post by bote »

I have a comrade who makes Martini-Henri parts. I hope to get over to his machine shop in the near future.

AFJuvat

Post by AFJuvat »

Hodgdon has a 45-70 Trapdoor loading section in their online manual.

I've had good success using 39 grains of IMR 4064 under a 500 grain ACME coated bullet.

bote

Post by bote »

Thanks AFJuvat. What kind of groups do you get? Did you try the 405 grain bullets?

AFJuvat

Post by AFJuvat »

I was getting 1 - 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

I've only loaded 500 grain so far, next time around I am going to try a lighter bullet.