30/40 Krag reloading?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
psteinmayer

Re: 30/40 Krag reloading?

Post by psteinmayer »

I've used both the Hornady and the Sierra 220 gr bullets. I've been using the Sierras in local matches this year, but I'm bringing the Hornady to Camp Perry as I think my Krag is slightly more accurate with them. Personally, I prefer the Hornady as the bullet profile is more of a RN shape, where as the Sierra is more tapered with a smaller nose... but as reincarnated stated, we use what we can get. Hornady considers the 220 RN a seasonal bullet these days, so they only run them occasionally. I stock up when I can find them. Right now, they seem to be available (Cabelas had several boxes of 100 in stock this weekend).

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

GAB!!! That 42.5 grain load will crack your bolt lug!

Maybe, maybe not. I think the fit of the locking lug into the recess has a bit to do with cracking bolts too. Some only bear on one edge, like one I took out of a 13000 serial rifle that had a cracked receiver. On the other hand, I've shot some loads out of my parkerized 92/96 that had to be near proof levels. The lug fully bears on it, as does the guide rib. Was it you who said your chamber was out of alignment? Maybe it was someone on another forum. That could have some effect on whether or not a lug cracks too.

On to other things, I have decided on my Camp Perry load. 29.5gr of SPP210, a Swiss made powder that burns about 4198 speed. The 168gr Nosler match bullet is only going around 2250fps. I shot a lot of loads before deciding on this one. None of the loads with 40gr or more powder come close to this one accuracy-wise. I think that has something to do with muzzle pressure. I shot five yesterday, 3Xs within an inch, one 10, one 9 that I'll take the blame for. About a 1.75" group with the just outside the 10 ring 9. I was using a 6 oclock hold at 100yds, 3.3" high at 100 should be right on with a center hold at 200. Which is right where the 1902 sight is set! I'm ready as I'm going to get.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

madsenshooter, muzzle pressure? Also, I've never heard of you SS210 powder? Where do you buy this stuff, anyway?
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Muzzle pressure, the pressure the gases behind the bullet have at bullet exit. With faster burning powders in lower doses the powder has generated all the gas it's going to long before the bullet gets to the muzzle. So what gas has been generated is constantly expanding with pressure getting lower behind the bullet. The more powder you use, the more gas you evolve, more = higher pressure at bullet exit with slower powders, if equal chamber pressure loads are used. More gas = more blast at the muzzle. This is my simple explanation, maybe parashooter could illustrate a few loads for us.

The SPP210 was a surplus powder once offered by Wideners. SPP = Swiss Precision Powder. After digging around I think it was a lot of Vectan Tu2000. Some Vectan powders are being imported, can't say if it includes Tu2000. Ask your local supplier, he'll probably get a smile on his face like the owner of the junkyard did when I asked about an ECU unit for my 89 Volvo. No words needed said.

By the way, my load was super at 100yds, easily holding the 10 ring with 3/5 in the X, but it was not good at 200. I think because of transitioning below Mach 2. Shot dispersal was pretty wide.

S.B.

Post by S.B. »

Yes so I gathered. Never heard that used before. Port, pressure chamber pressure etc. but, never muzzle pressure?
Steve
The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

gab

Post by gab »

While I have fired the 42.5 grain IMR 4350 loads a number of times, I think I will pull the remaining loads and start over. I do not want to damage my old Krag, nor risk personal injury.

Luke

Post by Luke »

In using any 220 gr. Round Nose, does anyone have feedback on bullet expansion in game hunting ?
I've read elsewhere that most 220 gr. need 30-06 vel. to expand well on game.
Thanks

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

In using any 220 gr. Round Nose, does anyone have feedback on bullet expansion in game hunting ?
Thanks

I whole heartedly disagree. Hunters have been taking record game with Krags using standard velocities and 220 grain RN bullets for almost a hundred years! Remember, with a heavy bullet like the 220 gr RN, the bullet has enough mass to penetrate and expand well at lower velocities. Just think about the damage the 500 grain mini-ball caused at 1200 FPS out of a civil war musket... astonishing!!! Nope, the 220 grain RN should serve you quite well at standard Krag pressures and velocities!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Of course, Shot placement is everything. A mushroomed bullet shot in a non-fatal wound results in an animal that runs off and laughs at you.

Good reading:

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCB30-40Krag.htm

http://www.lasc.us/ArticlesFryxell.htm

http://www.lasc.us/ArticleIndex.htm

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Luke

Post by Luke »

Thank You Gentlemen for your feedback.
I've always preferred 220gr. RN in my 30-06, and I think the 30-40 will do as well, but at much closer range.
My hangout is Admiralty Island.