Chrono results

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
butlersrangers

Re: Chrono results

Post by butlersrangers »

Wow! I would have stopped after ruining One case, that way.

Your Case Mouths look heavily crimped into Bullet Cannelure. I suspect that may be the actual problem.

An inertia 'puller' would be worth a try. (I'd start with the five ruined ones)!

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

Thanks much. I have his classic work on rifles, but not the handloading one. Nice to know about the difference in editions, too.

Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading is his magnum opus, far better writing & subject matter than "The Rifle in America" which has a lot of cut & paste from catalogs of the day. The 1941 edition is pretty rare. I have only seen one and I grabbed it. But there is plenty in the 1937 edition to interest anyone curious about Depression-era handloading.

You could use the bearing from a Model A Ford generator to resize your .45 ACP brass. Drive the cases through with a 3/8" bolt and your hammer. Decap with a nail & your hammer. Re-prime with a wood dowel and your shop vise.

IIRC, almost 2 pages of handloads for the Krag.

The regular bound editions are very well made and not that hard to find. But the book is in the public domain and is on the web as a free download. All you have to do is search.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Nice to know. I have a 41 Edition, signed June 19,1942. To Hugh J McKelroy, Warren PA. Keep shooting, Phil Sharpe. Fellow off Culver's with the handle of Ramon sent it to me after I sent him a model 92 sight.

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Wow! I would have stopped after ruining One case, that way.

Your Case Mouths look heavily crimped into Bullet Cannelure. I suspect that may be the actual problem.

An inertia 'puller' would be worth a try. (I'd start with the five ruined ones)!

We are kinda doubling up on this this threat but:
I was just trying to bump the bullet back just enough to allow for removal.
What I did find on the two that removed was excessive corrosion, No surprise, I'm sure.
No sure a kinetic puller would do the job.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Vic' - The 'inertia' puller worked for me, years ago, with some old French 8mm Lebel 1935 'N' machine gun rounds. Those bullets were heavily crimped and really tough to budge!

It is worth a try to salvage those components.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If you use the inertia puller, strike it on an anvil or brick... or just on the concrete floor. Doing it on a wood workbench and the wood is soft enough to soften the impact, which does make a difference.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I crimped some Hornady 150gr FMJs like that once. I used a collet die somehow to make the crimp. I had to pull them down as the crimp made for too much pressure. The edge of the crimp groove was square on the bottom, but a bit rounded at the top. That allowed me to seat the bullet a bit more, but just a bit, trying to seat it a bunch collapsed the shoulder like the OP's. Had the upper edge of that groove been square, I think I'd have had no choice but to shoot them. After moving the bullet a tad the kinectic puller worked. I think if both edges of the groove are square, they'll take a lot of whacks with a kinetic puller.

kragluver

Post by kragluver »

The extreme spread values on your last two loads are quite high - indicative of erratic pressure behavior. We're these recentl reloads or perhaps old ammo? I once had some old 270 handloads given to me by my wife's grandfather. They gave wildly erratic velocities and signs of high pressure in my Model 70. After shooting a few I broke a couple down and found the powder was deteriorating (bad smell, odd colors). I pulled all the bullets and tossed everything else. The pressures I was seeing scared me. What spurred me to share that story was I saw very large ES values shot to shot.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Old ammo, judging by that hollowpoint bullet. My grandma kept a live SL-43 50BMG round that my uncle brought from gunnery school in her nick knack cabinet for nigh 60yrs. Uncle was a B-24 ball turret gunner. I pulled it down and found that the brass had pulled all the moisture out of the powder, the inside of the case was green, the powder was starting to turn to dust. I used some of the powder in 6.5 Japanese loads, it wasn't burning at no 4831 speed!

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Tested a load today using 41.3 grs H4831, 220 gr Hornady soft point, 303 Winchester brass at 100 yds. Very good results. Using my rebarreled (Criterion) and newly installed 1902 rear sight. I did re-adjust the POI and further rezeroed it for 200 yds. I had planned to do a little rapid practice but ran into a feeding problem. I'll start another thread for that problem.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member