Update Reloading frustrations

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
RedLeg0811

Re: Reloading frustrations

Post by RedLeg0811 »

I think I found the problem. Someone mentioned the shell holder. I will have to figure out which one I have as it is not marked. I need a #7.

I will try that and report back.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Is that a RCBS or Redding number? For LEE and Hornady, it's a #5. Now I'm curious...

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

Well crap. I have the #5 Hornady.

Yes the#7 is RCBS. The RCBS dies don't Say anything about improved. I wouldn't doubt that the casing were shop in an improved or sloppy chamber.

I will get pictures Wed.

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

If a F.L. sizer die is properly made, adjusted, and used with a normal shellholder and adequate lube, it will size cases back to normal spec regardless of them having been fired in an oversized chamber. Barking up that tree ain't going to git nothin'.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

This is shapin' up to be a real By-God Mystery!

Did you purchase the die new or receive it from someone... and if you did receive it from someone, is it possible that someone modified the die to move the shoulder location? Perhaps ordering a new die set from LEE (should run about $36 for the Pacesetter set at Midway) would provide the answer. LEE is about the easiest on the ole wallet... and IMHO just as good as anything else!

FredC

Post by FredC »

If you do get a new set of dies or just purchase a sizing die it would not hurt to get the same companies shell holder. One company's shell holder could be slightly different than another's. Normally the slight differences in tolerance do not cause problems if you mix them, maybe you have an exception.
I did a little research on 35 Krags yesterday and found that a lot of people modify their existing dies. Unless you know the person you get your dies from when buying used, it is possible that you could get a unmarked wild cat.
One last thing review Parashooter's post on die to shell holder clearance while actually at your press.

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

If a F.L. sizer die is properly made, adjusted, and used with a normal shellholder and adequate lube, it will size cases back to normal spec regardless of them having been fired in an oversized chamber. Barking up that tree ain't going to git nothin'.

Agreed. I wasn't very clear in what I was saying. I only thought the previous firearm would explain why the shoulder on pre-sized casing were so far out of spec.

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

Factory round next to a resized brass.
https://martinpaietta.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-j55dKTf/A

I was originally given a RCBS set of dies, which is what I used. The dies said 30-40 krag FL. I bought another set from Amazon for $30, which turned out to be the same set and resized to the same shoulder.
https://martinpaietta.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-cqjwhpm/A

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IIRC - 'RedLeg0811' has a model 1899 Krag action with a barrel of "undetermined" origin. The barrel is 22 inches long, has a 'non-arsenal' muzzle-crown, a Springfield 1905 front-sight, and 'buggered-up' rear-sight screw holes.

Maybe the barrel is not an original Springfield made Krag barrel & chamber.

FWIW - The tightest .30-40 chamber, I have, is on a Sedgely 'reworked' Krag 'sporter'. This rifle has a 22 inch barrel made from a 1905 dated .30-03 Springfield barrel. The origin of this barrel is obvious from its markings, "S.A. - 05" bracketing a flaming ordnance bomb, and notches across the barrel for front and rear-sight pins. (Although 're-cycled' and tight chambered, this barrel will accept F.L. Resized cases that were fired in other Krags).

Possibly RedLeg's barrel is a replacement, chambered with a reamer, of minimum dimensions or tolerances.

Maybe his F.L. Re-sizing Die is worn or was cut with a reamer of maximum tolerances.

Interesting riddle. I'm sure trained eyes and experienced Krag Guys will solve it if we can see it.

p.s. - RedLeg posted a cartridge case comparison picture, while I was originally typing this message.

That 'Factory Round' has a puzzling looking projectile, to me, and apparently some deformation or bending of the case rim!

FWIW - The re-sized case looks normal.

It is hard to tell much without a case actually fired in his rifle's chamber.

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

The case on the right doesn't look overly long to the shoulder, looks like normal blow out to me. Your chamber must be cut short. Like I said, I've ran into a few. But if your chamber is cut short, where are you getting brass that isn't short? Obviously unfired brass is going to go easier than some that have been fired in a proper length chamber. Now the one on the left looks short to the shoulder, but since headspace is on the rim, shoulder location doesn't matter and there was some variation on new cases. It looks to me like it has been in your rifle, and was a tight fit though new. The tightest one I had was an old 30-06 barrel of some sort, perhaps what old ads referred to as ordnance barrels. Though tightly chambered, they really didn't set it back far enough and left the throat out near 30-06 length.