Update Reloading frustrations

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
FredC

Re: Update Reloading frustrations

Post by FredC »

I kind of like to fix what is wrong, but what you suggested could work also. Instead of facing off the die, I would face a little off the top of the shell holder. I just milled a slot in a 45 Colt shell holder to make room for primers that scoot back in my "snake" gun. The shell holder was not that hard.
The difference in length from the shoulder to the rim will be difficult to measure. I think the headspace tolerance on the rim is .006 inches. If you can take off .003 to .004 inches at a time off the shell holder till it works might be better than making a mistake measuring something that is difficult.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'FredC' suggests an excellent cheap solution for your Krag, (with the 'short chamber').

Shell Holders are relatively inexpensive. It would be easy to remove metal from the top of an 'extra' shell holder, thus allowing 'Problem Cases' to move slightly deeper into a Standard Die.

Just go slow with removing metal from the shell-holder.

Once you have it working, (so that it resizes cases fired in other Krags so they fit your 'short' chamber), paint the altered shell holder with red nail polish. You will only need to use it specifically on brass that won't chamber in "This Rifle".

It appears most new unfired brass and brass fired in this Krag will only require neck-sizing. This can be done with a regular shell-holder and a standard F.L. Re-sizing Die (backed-off one turn).

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

I guess great minds think alike. My buddy who is a machinest/ gunsmith on his stuff said the same thing.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The 'Truth Be Told', Parashooter stated the remedy back in Reply #7:

" .... upper surface of shellholder can be stoned or sanded thinner to allow case to enter the die farther".

Smart man - Buy him a Spritzer!

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

Not all dies are created equal, have a similar problem with two M70 Winchester 243 rifles. Brass FL sized in an RCBS die will not let bolt close on one of the rifles. A Hornady FL sizer however works for the tight chambered rifle. Go figure.
Since you bought new RCBS dies you might also contact RCBS and explain the problem, they have outstanding customer service.

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

I guess great minds think alike. My buddy who is a machinest/ gunsmith on his stuff said the same thing.

FredC

Post by FredC »

The 'Truth Be Told', Parashooter stated the remedy back in Reply #7:

" .... upper surface of shellholder can be stoned or sanded thinner to allow case to enter the die farther".

Smart man - Buy him a Spritzer!

Earlier we were not 100% sure where the chamber was tight. If it had been on the body diameter, shaving the shell holder enough to force it further into the chamber would have excessively set back the shoulder each time a case was reloaded.
Since Redleg's chamber was cut shallow, one other thing to watch for will be case rim interference. When setting the headspace on my sporter, I measured the rim thickness on about 100 of my new Remington cases and found several that were only .001 inch smaller than the maximum allowed. If the shoulder was not reamed deep enough it is possible that the headspace (on the rim) is also tight. If the barrel end was faced off to fix this it may be a non issue and a resized shell holder will solve everything.
Oh and Parashooter probably deserves several spritzers for all the help he has given us over the years.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Since 'RedLeg's' Krag will accept factory .30-40 ammo, the issue is likely just the positioning of the case shoulder.

A "designated" altered shell holder, for limited & special use, with this rifle and brass needing the shoulder 'bumped back' a little, is a cheap fix.

I believe, 'RedLeg' has more than one .30-40 shell-holder. It would just be wise to identify prominently any altered shell-holder. (Obliterate the # and paint it Red, to avoid unintentional use).

p.s. Keep Brass for use in this 'short chambered' Krag separate. (Put nail polish on case heads to I.D.).

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Oh and Parashooter probably deserves several spritzers for all the help he has given us over the years.

Amen to that!

RedLeg0811

Post by RedLeg0811 »

Since 'RedLeg's' Krag will accept factory .30-40 ammo, the issue is likely just the positioning of the case shoulder.

A "designated" altered shell holder, for limited & special use, with this rifle and brass needing the shoulder 'bumped back' a little, is a cheap fix.

I believe, 'RedLeg' has more than one .30-40 shell-holder. It would just be wise to identify prominently any altered shell-holder. (Obliterate the # and paint it Red, to avoid unintentional use).

p.s. Keep Brass for use in this 'short chambered' Krag separate. (Put nail polish on case heads to I.D.).

You are correct I have the hornady one for another round (303 Brit?) and bought an RCBS. I was going to shave and mark the RCBS.

Right now I only have one Krag.

Thanks guys.