KRAG BRASS

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
RomeoJim

Re: KRAG BRASS

Post by RomeoJim »

Thanks to this forum I was able to find new unprimed brass for my Krags for the first time in years. Good thing too as some of my cases are exhibiting obvious signs that they're tired. (See enclosed pic)Image

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Scary! Are you joking? Have you considered neck-sizing only?

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

I have tried neck resizing only but had difficulties chambering with some cartridges. Now that I have some brand new cases and hopefully a continuous source I can trash any of those ancient cartridges that show even a hint of separation failure and try neck resizing only again. I inherited my Krags from my grandfather (Model 1898) and my father (Model 1899) which were (unfortunately) both "sporterized". They are both very accurate and my son still uses his great-grandfather's Krag to hunt whitetail. It's been a while since I adjusted my die for neck resizing only ( over 25 years) so I'll have to go back and re-read the instructions.

Thanks for the reply and reminder about neck only resizing.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Just back the die out 1 turn. Also, when neck sizing only, you must keep brass with the rifle it's been fired in. Don't shoot the brass in the 98, neck size, and then shoot it in the 99. Neck sizing keeps the fire form of the chamber, and chambers vary.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

Great! Thanks I'll try that with my next batches of reloads and mark the boxes accordingly so they're used only in the correct rifle. Checking the serial number on my father's 1899 it appears it was manufactured in 1900 and was probably a carbine. He must have had it re-blued at some point because the metal finish is gloss black and it looks like a brand new rifle as opposed to the dull gray military finish of my grandfather's 1898. Too bad if it was actually a carbine because to have it all original would would have been really great.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

If the receiver is stamped 1899, it absolutely started out life as a carbine! Post some pictures so we can see it. If it's not too modified, then outside of the re-bluing, it may be possible to restore it to it's carbine configuration, albeit a sometimes expensive proposition. Pictures will help with that analysis.

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

That sounds great! I'll take a couple pics and post them. Thanks!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Pics moved to Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags

Prince Humperdink

Post by Prince Humperdink »

I just received some yesterday,seems like really stout brass.Now to load some up,and try it out!

Hoot

Post by Hoot »

In the FWIW Dep't: Buffalo Arms is showing "Ample Stock" for CapTech/Jamison brass here => https://www.buffaloarms.com/30_40_Krag_Brass_Cases_it-1285850.aspx?CAT=3835