KRAG BRASS

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Prince Humperdink

Re: KRAG BRASS

Post by Prince Humperdink »

I just received some yesterday,seems like really stout brass.Now to load some up,and try it out!

First loads ran smoothly through my carbine,now to reload.

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Ordered 100 from Grafts Monday. In stock.
Contacted Starline to see if 30-40 is in their future plans (now that they are in the rifle brass business).
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

tdoo4570

Post by tdoo4570 »

At the price that Graff's wants for brass , I can convert a lot of 303 Brit . the neck may be a little short but it works just as good a factory. When you are feeding 4 krags you use what you can afford .

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

I buy PRVI .303 Brit blanks, then turn them into full length Krag cases. Hacksaw the tip off in a 30-40 file trim die, dump the powder, file down to max length (this die only does max length), deburr. Save the powder and primer for other uses. Anneal and load. Because the .303 has more body taper, one loses about 6g capacity as compared to a blown out 30-40, for this first firing.

Kerz

Post by Kerz »

Feedback from Starline:
"Thanks for reaching out to us, Vic. Once we get through the new calibers we're currently working on, we'll be able to take a closer look."

I'm sure the decision is based on market opportunity and requests from us. All should contact them by phone, email or Facebook. I plan to talk with them at the NRA Convention too.
Vic
Preparedness + Opportunity= Luck

NRA Benefactor Member
KY & WV State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member

musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Just checked the Graf and Sons site and as of 10:40 PM PST they have it in stock. $44 for 50 pieces.
Jon

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

Got my Graf brass in today from Buffalo Arms. Like others said, it is a slightly heavier case than the Remington brass I have. The rim is thicker too.

My bolt closes easily on an empty new Remington case. The Graf takes a little bit of more effort. Theoretically, running the new brass though a resizing die will not make a change on bolt closing effort, but I'll give it a try....

TexTenn59

Post by TexTenn59 »

So much for theories.....

I go the following measurements using a .375" Hornady Headspace gauge:

New Remington brass: average 1.757
New Graf Brass: average 1.781
New Graf resized: average 1.772 (closes much easier)

So I measured some once fired Remington brass: average 1.769

Looks like the Remington brass stretched a little and the Graf shoulder needs to be set back a little more. :)

RomeoJim

Post by RomeoJim »

I had the same issue of resistance when closing the bolt on my new Graf cases in both my 1898 and 1899. After working the bolt up and down and removing the case there was a shiny ring on the shoulder where it was rubbing in the chambers of both rifles. I full length resized some and tried again and it made it easier, though still some slight resistance. Loaded some up but haven't been to the range yet to try them out and fire-form them to see if that fully eliminates the tightness, but plan to try them out next weekend.

I had the same issue in my 250 Savage with Jamison Brass (which may actually be made by Graf's ) except that the shoulders were so tight that even after full length re-sizing the bolt was still unacceptably difficult to close.

Jim

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

New brass is manufactured to dimensional tolerances, but not the dimensions of sized brass. All ammo is FL sized when manufactured. Once the brass has been loaded and shot, it can then be Neck-Sized because the brass will be fire-formed to your chamber