Unique powder and jacketed bullets

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Flatlander15

Unique powder and jacketed bullets

Post by Flatlander15 »

Good afternoon,

I was doing research and research for a low pressure load and the local gun store had a guy working who helped me out when starting on 38 special/357.

He did his own looking and came up with a 170 grain 30-30 bullet (just round nose) and 12.4 grains of Unique. The velocity is 1430 feet per second, but there are no figures on pressures unfortunately. This load came out of a 1937 book if that helps.

The only bullets I could find are jacketed so I bought them.
The data states for lead bullets. Will this change anything with pressures? I just want to be safe.

Thank you in advance.

butlersrangers

Re: Unique powder and jacketed bullets

Post by butlersrangers »

NO! STOP! - That type of load is for low velocity CAST BULLET rounds NOT FOR JACKETED BULLETS.

A jacketed bullet offers more resistance when being 'pushed' through the bore.

(It also sounds like it could be an excessive amount of Unique!

8-9 grains of Unique is more often cited in CAST BULLET loads).

This is not an area of expertise for me. Other KCA Members will have far greater knowledge and experience.

Flatlander15

Post by Flatlander15 »

Thank you. Oh well, I'm glad I asked first. I loaded up a dummy round and seated the bullet to the groove, the OAL is only 2.816" so based on the guides it seems too short although it cycles great. Well, at least I have the brass sized and primed, part way there.

The load data is from page 373 in the Complete Guide to Hand Loading, from 1937.

Flatlander15

Post by Flatlander15 »

I bought these bullets

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414059/hornady-interlock-bullets-30-30-winchester-308-diameter-170-grain-flat-nose-box-of-100

Looking at the factory loaded 30-40 rounds, these seem wayyy too short. What kind of non self casted bullets do people use to reach over 3" OAL?

Parashooter

Post by Parashooter »

In my view, 12.4 grains Unique with the Hornady #3060 bullet should be a perfectly reasonable combination delivering less than 30,000 psi and about 1700 fps. This bullet is lightly jacketed and lead core, offering little more effective resistance than a cast bullet.

Ignore the position of the bullet's cannelure ("groove") and seat it to a normal Krag OAL (~3.08") for optimal alignment in the magazine. This will yield a seating depth of ~.32" - plenty for adequate neck tension without crimp.

If you're unaccustomed to reduced loading, be sure to check each charged case visually before seating bullets. This charge occupies only about 40% of the powder space, allowing an inadvertent double charge to slip by unless watched carefully. That mistake would yield about 80,000 psi - way too much for comfort!

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Sound advice, double charges of fast powders wreck rifles and the pieces sometimes kill.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Parashooter' and 'Madsenshooter' are far more knowledgeable in re-loading matters than I.

reincarnated

Post by reincarnated »

I trust Sharpe completely. If you go back to the source, he frequently listed pressures (with the old style primers) for Hercules powders.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Just the same... I would avoid the Unique and find a powder more suited to a jacketed bullet at Krag pressures. As others have said, it's very easy to mistakenly double, or even triple a charge when it's that small, and fast burning pistol/shotgun powders tend to do nasty things when the charge is excessive.

3031 and 4064 seem to work very well with the 30-30 bullets in Krags, but consult a loading manual on this.

Just my humble $0.02

RichWIS

Post by RichWIS »

The only reduced loads I have seen for the Krag with jacketed bullets were using SR4759, which is unfortunately discontinued . There is a lot of data with other rifle powders but these will be closer to full power loads. Cast and jacketed data is different, even a hard cast bullet only has a Brinnell hardness of perhaps 18-20 whereas most jacketed bullets start closer to 115-120. If you do a google search there are a number of suppliers of pre-cast bullets in a variety of diameters. If using cast suggest you use a .310-.311 diameter as Krag barrels tend to run large and you want to seal the bore to prevent leading.