Krag Ammo Now Obsolete?! =(

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Re: Krag Ammo Now Obsolete?! =(

Post by Culpeper »

LOL Casting ain't all bad (or so I assume, since I don't actually cast myself). Buck up, happy camper!!!

Whatcha' talking about? I am just peeved that I have to learn a new skill set. I am just now getting used to the reloading idea. Casting looks like a real gas.

Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Thanks for the great information guys. From the looks of it yes reloading is going to be in my future I found a complete die set on eBay for $50 and I found a complete Lee Reloading system for like a hundred and sixty also on eBay brand new. Let me know if you guys think those prices are too high currently I have about 50 rounds of loaded bullets. I intend on reloading the brass as needed. About how many rounds do you guys keep for recreational shooting.

Brass is your friend and the more friends the better. Save brass you don't even have or use. Fifty BMG? Your Friend. Brass 7.62x39 berdan primed? Your friend. Why? Because it's brass. Some guy will reload it and will appreciate the thought and generousity.

Steel, Aluminum, Uranium are not your friends. Dump them like an ugly date.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

LOL Paul, you never cease to amaze me with the colorful nature of your remarks! I know if you've commented on a thread, I'm gonna laugh!

Paul is right about the brass... save it all. Even if you don't shoot it, someone does. Even Berdan primed has a place in this world (I currently reload Berdan 7.5x55mm Swiss).

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

LOL Paul, you never cease to amaze me with the colorful nature of your remarks! I know if you've commented on a thread, I'm gonna laugh!

Oh how you do go on. I'm all misty eyed that you would say that.

I remember listening to a nice guy and his missus at a wine tasting years ago. The conversation was about religion and he blurtted out that "he was an atheist". And right on cue I blurtted out "I don't believe in atheism". He started to laugh so darn hard that he had wine running out his nose and mouth. It is well that you can catch them in mid drink and enjoy the show.

But what I want to catch is the elusive brass called the .30-40 Krag. So far nothing has been seen in the normal places. Does that big place up by you have any loaded brass on hand or are they out of stock also?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

They had some two months ago... to the tune of 9 or 10 boxes. then, last month, nary a box to be found! Never-the-less, I keep lookin'. It comes and goes.

FWIW, there is a page on FB called "The Brass Bank" where peeps buy and sell used brass. Now most of the guys on there want premium Top-Dollar prices for brass (the other day, there was a guy selling PPU .303 for more than you would pay new), and you'll see tons of the usual suspects (.9mm, 223, .308, etc.) but occasionally you'll see something rare or worthy of notice. I've yet to see 30-40 though. I've even asked for it and got crickets (not the Buddy Holly variety) for a reply.

JimmyK

Post by JimmyK »

Here's another vote for reloading using .303 British brass. Presently, I've plenty of Krag brass and will continue to reload with Krag brass. However, having experienced too many dry spells over the last 30 years, it seemed prudent to experiment. The slightly longer shoulder of .303 British cases need just the tiniest little bump in a reloading die to get them to fit a Krag chamber. Thereafter, reloading was just the same, made little difference to my reloading data or my Krags and as a side benefit, definitely eliminates trimming as a reloading step. Yes, the neck is .100" shorter, but as was pointed out by another, just seat to normal overall length and you'll be fine. Some folks say they have NEVER bought anything else for their Krags.

Eagle223usa

Post by Eagle223usa »

I know I'm jumping in late to this conversation. But the Krag is worth reloading for and casting for. Both are great hobbies and will let you get to know your rifle better. I was fortunate enough to buy Winchester and Remington brass years ago when Midway had it on sale. I then bought a Lyman 314299 and have never regretted it! If you slug your bore and size accordingly the accuracy is very good, if your bore is up to it. I use the 314299 and IMR 4198 powder to fly at around 2000 fps. I got that velocity with much less powder than the Lyman book stated. So a chronograph is a good idea. My Krags are my favorite range toy rifles. And yes, this caliber was obsolete in 1903.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Well... not quite obsolete by 1903, as many found their way to Europe to serve in The Great War... but certainly heading that way by 1905!

Jim Teague

Post by Jim Teague »

No ammo in my area either. I do have 200 rounds of remington and 60 cases and may have a line on 100 more cases. If we do find a place that will make ammo or brass I will be glad to buy more. Hope we can find someone.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy Jim! Welcome to the greatest forum on the web! Lots of great people here...